Bad Ping after installing Riva TNT2 32MB AGP

G

Hi all !

How come my ping in Unreal Tournament increased to about 2000-5000 after installing a Riva TNT2 32MB AGP into my computer ? First I used an Elsa Victory Erazor 4MB, the ping was at about 200 each game. I am using ISDN so the connection-speed should not be the problem at all.

Installing the latest Detonators (21.81) lowered the ping for some time of gaming, but it heavily decreased my available system memory ! Running UT brought down my system memory to 0 MB and my HD started swapping.

I changed to Detonator-version 12.41 again - no problems with memory, but the ping ...

Any ideas ?

My system specs :

AMD K6-2 550 MHz
256 MD SD-RAM 100
FIC VA-503+ mainboard with VIA-chipset
256 MB SDRAM 100 MHz
Windows 98 (same problem with Windows ME)
DirectX 8.0
Sedlbauer Teledat 100 ISDN-Card (on PCI port)

Changing the game resolution did not lower my ping and no other programs are running in the background.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Your ping should have nothing to do with your video card, check that you didnt dislodge your modem connections when installing your new card.

Thank you very little!

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
In your case, check your isdn pci card connections, maybe reinstall the drivers for it.

If you harbor my enemy, You are my enemy.

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
First off I mwould check to make sure you have the latest VIA 4 in 1 driver.. Then check the memory addresses incase the new vid card is sharing resources with the modem... Then change your AGP arpeture size and agp timing in the bios and last change your initial boot device in he bios to agp

G

Installing the latest 4in1 drivers had no effect on the ping.

My device-manager shows NO ICQ, DMA, or memory adress conflicts.

These are my BIOS-settings :

Aperture size = 64 M
AGP-2x mode support = enabled
Init primary display = AGP

G

Everything else with my ISDN-card seems to be ok.
Surfing the internet or downloading is as fast as before ...

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
did you check your IRQ`S and make sure the video card is not sharing with anything else, this dosnt mean there will be a conflict neccessarily.

If you harbor my enemy, You are my enemy.

owais

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I heard that the VA-503+ aren't fully compatible with TNT2 cards. I don't know if this relates to your specific problem, but I though id mention it.

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Your aperture size should usually be set to half of the ram IE 256 ram = 128 aperture and try turning off agp 2X
also how long is the phone line and has their been any storms.
also had you install any new software or hardware aside from the tnt2

G

The graphics card shares its IRQ with some ACPI-IRQ-holder. But I read earlier that this should be no problem.
Other resources (memory etc.) are not shared.