desktop icons

i read the posts and solutions people gave. i'm at work, so i cannot try a
couple of the ones i haven't yet. what happened is i downloaded from a
music site, a wallpaper packet. loaded it up and changed my wallpaper to
one of the pix in the file. ever since, my icons disappeared. now, the
resolution was huge though. are my icons there, but just shoved way to the
side, do you think? also, i did go to safe mode and deleted the wallpaper
file, but when i rebooted, same thing. the icons appear for a couple
minutes, then disappear. I also did a system restore with no luck.

Thanks for your help in advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about desktop icons

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:27:03 -0700, T wrote:

    > i read the posts and solutions people gave. i'm at work, so i cannot try a
    > couple of the ones i haven't yet. what happened is i downloaded from a
    > music site, a wallpaper packet. loaded it up and changed my wallpaper to
    > one of the pix in the file. ever since, my icons disappeared. now, the
    > resolution was huge though. are my icons there, but just shoved way to the
    > side, do you think? also, i did go to safe mode and deleted the wallpaper
    > file, but when i rebooted, same thing. the icons appear for a couple
    > minutes, then disappear. I also did a system restore with no luck.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance.

    I suspect the wallpaper from the music site is an active desktop item
    (should be listed in Display Properties> Desktop> Customize> Web Items) and
    is covering up your icons.

    Try right clicking the desktop and selecting Arrange Icons By... and then
    Show Desktop Icons.

    Alternatively, uncheck the wallpaper in Web Items.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Wallpaper Desktop Icons Windows XP