Core 2 duo t5900 can upgrade to t9400 or p8700 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjay28

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
hi, i have hp dv5 1180-et and i want to upgrade my cpu. here is my mainboard view :
221anakrt.jpg

can i upgrade my cpu t5900 to t9400 or p8700 ? i searched cpu's socket type and my chipset might be compatible with them.what is your ideas for this change this cpu's compatible with my mainboard ? help me please :(

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Unfortunately, no you can't. Pretty much all laptop/notebook processors are solder on to the motherboard. The only thing you could do is find a motherboard for your laptop that has a more powerful CPU in it.

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Edited:
See the website, and download the service and maintenance manual. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3833986&. In the manual, you can see that this model takes various cpus, and judging by your mobo info (northbridge & southbridge chipsets), it looks like cpu upgrade is possible for this model, IF the cpu+mobo is a socketed version.

When upgrading notebook cpus, you have to consider 1) can the mobo take higher end cpus? 2) is it realistic to disassemble the notebook to change out the cpu? & 3) is the cpu soldered or socketd version. Judging by your current cpu, T5900 which is a socket P version, I can assume that your cpu & mobo is a socketed version. That means your mobo should be able to take higher end of socket P version, so cpu upgrade is MOST LIKELY possible. This is not ALWAYS true, because the BIOS also needs to support the higher end cpus, so again this is just a BEST GUESS.

With these things in mind, I wouldn't give up just yet. If I were you, I would contact HP support to double check on this. Also, you could disassemble the laptop, and see it with your own eyes. Just don't pay for a new cpu, unless you are fairly sure about attempting this upgrade. FYI, I repair laptops of another brand, and almost all of those with Core 2 Duos were upgradable. I am not sure about HP units, though.

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Well, from what i have been seeing, most of the recent laptops are soldered. But many of the older (2~4 yrs) were socketed. If you search T9600, http://ark.intel.com/products/35563/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9600-(6M-Cache-2_80-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB), there are 2 versions. BGA479, the soldered version, and PGA478, socketed version. T5900 is merom, and T9600 is penryn. So I think an upgrade is possible, at least on paper, but I am not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.