Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Processors & Graphics question ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 14, 2013 1:26:32 PM

Could anyone help me with a quick question regarding budget laptops and the common processors and graphics I keep seeing on laptops in my price range ? These 2 combinations keep popping up, out of the two is one particularly better than the other ? The price is the same and all other specs are the same.


Quad-Core AMD A8-4500M Discrete-Class with AMD Radeon HD 7640G

or

Intel® Core™ i5-3210M with Intel HD Graphics 4000

Cheers :) 
a b D Laptop
February 14, 2013 1:28:17 PM

go for the first one. stay away from intel integrated graphics if you want to game
February 14, 2013 2:50:21 PM

alvine said:
go for the first one. stay away from intel integrated graphics if you want to game


Thank you sir,

My knowledge of the subject is fairly poor but from from what I can gather, the i5 would be better at almost everything with the exception of gaming but the a8 excels in this area ? Would that be correct ?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
February 14, 2013 2:55:35 PM

yes intel processors are faster but the graphics are very slow while amd's processors are a bit weaker but they offer better graphics
February 14, 2013 2:58:00 PM

alvine said:
yes intel processors are faster but the graphics are very slow while amd's processors are a bit weaker but they offer better graphics

cheers :) 
a b D Laptop
February 14, 2013 3:02:24 PM

you're welcome mate mark as the best answer :D 
February 14, 2013 3:12:40 PM

mayonaise said:
Could anyone help me with a quick question regarding budget laptops and the common processors and graphics I keep seeing on laptops in my price range ? These 2 combinations keep popping up, out of the two is one particularly better than the other ? The price is the same and all other specs are the same.


Quad-Core AMD A8-4500M Discrete-Class with AMD Radeon HD 7640G

or

Intel® Core™ i5-3210M with Intel HD Graphics 4000

Cheers :) 


But still don't forget that the memory management for the graphic part of the cpu sometimes is not recognized properly from some games and you may encounter incompatibilities. I guess things could be less problematic or no problems at all with the amd combo.
a b D Laptop
February 14, 2013 4:08:02 PM

Wow AMD FUD again, the a10 is about 20-40% better on average than the hd 4000. The a10 runs 384 cores at 497-686 mhz, the a8 runs 256 cores at 497-686 mhz. The A8 is 2/3 the speed of the a10.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...

The hd4000 is about equivalent to the a8 and the i5 cpu will be better.

Hybrid crossfire rarely works and will often return lower fps on than only using the discrete gpu.
February 14, 2013 4:24:05 PM

Cheers everyone :) 

After extensive googling this is what I'm tempted to buy this weekend: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-2213sa-15-6...

Do you think I could do better for the money ? And can you see any obvious flaws in it ? Mainly for browsing and running a few games on low or hopefully medium settings. Money is mega tight so once I've made my choice I'm stuck with it.

Thanks again !
a c 249 D Laptop
February 14, 2013 4:29:52 PM

Hi :) 

I sell lappies in my shops in the UK...

For that price you will be gaming on LOW at best...

If you want good gaming ...add another £1000 to your budget, or preferably build a GAMING PC for a LOT less...

All the best Brett :) 
February 14, 2013 4:40:21 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I sell lappies in my shops in the UK...

For that price you will be gaming on LOW at best...

If you want good gaming ...add another £1000 to your budget, or preferably build a GAMING PC for a LOT less...

All the best Brett :) 


PC is not an option as I do not have space for one. I prefer the flexibility of a laptop anyway.

To me low settings look perfectly fine from what I've seen but obviously I want to get the most out of my money. I prefer to game on console and will do so if it's multi platform so again I don't want to spend too much :) 
February 14, 2013 4:58:03 PM

Answer is A8

A10 is also better

!