Al

Back from the dead.

Well boys and girls here is my problem… No matter what I do in the way of
deleting emails from AT&T Web Mail, when I open Outlook Express in they come
as big as life. My McAfee picks up some of the spam but most get to my OE
Inbox. For the last several days I have tried all the things I can think of
with no luck.

I spent two days communicating with AT&T . Their technicians went into my
Web Mail account and tried to duplicate the problem, with no results.
Everything worked fine from their viewpoint.

If I send a test email to myself or forward an email to myself via OE and
then go to Web Mail and delete it it stays deleted. But when I delete any
other email and then open OE it comes back from the dead to haunt me.

I have been using ATT Web Mail for years with few problems, now with this
new ‘puter I am having fits. When one gets older the learning curve kind’a
flat lines I guess. My habit for several years is when I go online the first
thing I do is go to Web Mail, vet the mail, deleting the detritus, reporting
spam, then downloading the notes I want to keep or respond to into OE. Now
everything I “delete� in Web Mail comes to OE no matter what I do!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

[...]

Set OE to remove the messages from the server. Temporarily disable your
antivirus, Download all the messages. Turn on your antivirus and do a
complete scan. If you want to keep mail on the server then change the
setting back but until AT&T upgrades their server or McAfee fixes they way
they scan the problem will continue. What is happening is McAfee is scanning
and grabbing infected emails after they leave the webmail server but before
it gets fully into your inbox, so the messages are stuck in between. Not
fully out of webmail and not fully in your OE inbox. The only fix is as I
described. We had this problem at work using Norton. The work around we did
was to tell Norton not to scan the dbx files during auto protect. We did it
that way until our email server was upgraded.

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Back from the dead.
>
> Well boys and girls here is my problem. No matter what I do in the way of
> deleting emails from AT&T Web Mail, when I open Outlook Express in they
> come
> as big as life. My McAfee picks up some of the spam but most get to my OE
> Inbox. For the last several days I have tried all the things I can think
> of
> with no luck.
>
> I spent two days communicating with AT&T . Their technicians went into my
> Web Mail account and tried to duplicate the problem, with no results.
> Everything worked fine from their viewpoint.
>
> If I send a test email to myself or forward an email to myself via OE and
> then go to Web Mail and delete it it stays deleted. But when I delete any
> other email and then open OE it comes back from the dead to haunt me.
>
> I have been using ATT Web Mail for years with few problems, now with this
> new 'puter I am having fits. When one gets older the learning curve kind'a
> flat lines I guess. My habit for several years is when I go online the
> first
> thing I do is go to Web Mail, vet the mail, deleting the detritus,
> reporting
> spam, then downloading the notes I want to keep or respond to into OE.
> Now
> everything I "delete" in Web Mail comes to OE no matter what I do!
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
>

> Back from the dead.
>
> Well boys and girls here is my problem. No matter what I do in the way of
> deleting emails from AT&T Web Mail, when I open Outlook Express in they
> come
> as big as life. My McAfee picks up some of the spam but most get to my OE
> Inbox. For the last several days I have tried all the things I can think
> of
> with no luck.
>
> I spent two days communicating with AT&T . Their technicians went into my
> Web Mail account and tried to duplicate the problem, with no results.
> Everything worked fine from their viewpoint.
>
> If I send a test email to myself or forward an email to myself via OE and
> then go to Web Mail and delete it it stays deleted. But when I delete any
> other email and then open OE it comes back from the dead to haunt me.
>
> I have been using ATT Web Mail for years with few problems, now with this
> new 'puter I am having fits. When one gets older the learning curve kind'a
> flat lines I guess. My habit for several years is when I go online the
> first
> thing I do is go to Web Mail, vet the mail, deleting the detritus,
> reporting
> spam, then downloading the notes I want to keep or respond to into OE.
> Now
> everything I "delete" in Web Mail comes to OE no matter what I do!
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
>
> Al

Al

Thanks pcbutts,

I'll give it a try tomorow. This ol' grey beard has had enough of this
'puter for one day.

If you don't mind I'll post your note on the ATT site. They seen to have no
clue as to what is going on. In fact one response was that this was
theoretically imposable.
--
Thanks, Al

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Set OE to remove the messages from the server. Temporarily disable your
> antivirus, Download all the messages. Turn on your antivirus and do a
> complete scan. If you want to keep mail on the server then change the
> setting back but until AT&T upgrades their server or McAfee fixes they way
> they scan the problem will continue. What is happening is McAfee is scanning
> and grabbing infected emails after they leave the webmail server but before
> it gets fully into your inbox, so the messages are stuck in between. Not
> fully out of webmail and not fully in your OE inbox. The only fix is as I
> described. We had this problem at work using Norton. The work around we did
> was to tell Norton not to scan the dbx files during auto protect. We did it
> that way until our email server was upgraded.

Ok let me know.