Trojan virus!

I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I was
told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this true?
Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about trojan virus

    "wheels216" <wheels216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I was
    > told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this
    > true?
    > Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!

    If you are not running a reputable, updated Antivirus program and a
    firewall, buying all the disks in the world will not help you.

    Before following the bad advice you were given, you should educate yourself
    on the basics of a good home computer security program.

    Bobby

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0700, wheels216 wrote:

    > I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I was
    > told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this true?
    > Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!

    No, it's not true. Why not remove these using antivirus or antitrojan
    software?

    Once you get these cleaned up take precautions not to get infected again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    Free Antivirus from Avast

    "wheels216" <wheels216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I was
    > told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this
    > true?
    > Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!

    I would agree with Nonobaddog that <<If you are not running a reputable,
    updated Antivirus program and a
    firewall, buying all the disks in the world will not help you.>>

    However, pcbutts1's advice is a little over the top. It's a bit like having
    all the security devices possible on you home. Absolutely fine in terms of
    security but a bit tedious to use. You may find various software tripping
    over each other and then there's the need to keep it all up to date.

    You may like to have a look at www.1001solutions.co.uk/threat_prevention.pdf
    which is a brief look at the various threats to computers.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I would agree with Nonobaddog that <<If you are not running a reputable,
    >updated Antivirus program and a
    > firewall, buying all the disks in the world will not help you.>>
    >
    > However, pcbutts1's advice is a little over the top. It's a bit like
    > having all the security devices possible on you home. Absolutely fine in
    > terms of security but a bit tedious to use. You may find various software
    > tripping over each other and then there's the need to keep it all up to
    > date.
    >
    > You may like to have a look at
    > www.1001solutions.co.uk/threat_prevention.pdf which is a brief look at the
    > various threats to computers.

    I have to disagree. There was only one anti-virus listed. The rest were
    anti-spyware. I have not seen one program tht will get rid of all spyware.
    In many cases it takes three or four programs to get rid of it. If you know
    what you are doing you can do it manually but not many people have that
    depth of knowledge. For most users several anti-spyware programs are a must.

    Kerry

    "wheels216" <wheels216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I was
    > told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this
    > true?
    > Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!

    You can always wipe your drive and start over which would be a new drive for
    all intents and purposes. Before doing this, download a good ad-ware
    remover, a couple of good spybot and spyware removers and a good anti-virus
    program and run them to see if you can clean things up. If your trojans
    interfere too much and make it a hassel, just wipe the drive and reinstall
    everything. Now you will be smart enough to run a software firewall and
    anti-adware and spybot killers along with an anti virus program.

    Not over the top by far. Not enough, look at those links again. Only 1
    antivirus the rest are spyware removal 2 will also protect against infection
    the other 2 just remove. If you like and think your system is safe I have
    several links I can send you that will make you thinks twice about your
    security.

    "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I would agree with Nonobaddog that <<If you are not running a reputable,
    >updated Antivirus program and a
    > firewall, buying all the disks in the world will not help you.>>
    >
    > However, pcbutts1's advice is a little over the top. It's a bit like
    > having all the security devices possible on you home. Absolutely fine in
    > terms of security but a bit tedious to use. You may find various software
    > tripping over each other and then there's the need to keep it all up to
    > date.
    >
    > You may like to have a look at
    > www.1001solutions.co.uk/threat_prevention.pdf which is a brief look at the
    > various threats to computers.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions
    >
    > "wheels216" <wheels216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I
    >>was
    >> told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this
    >> true?
    >> Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!

    It sounds like an overkill to me, but if "wheels216" wants to go that way,
    you omitted the most important part.
    First d'load whatever firewall/antivrus/adaware programs you require & burn
    them to CD (or get a friend to do it if you don't have a burner).
    THEN wipe the drive,disconnect your internet connection & reinstall - as it
    only takes seconds to be re-infected.
    Install all the programs from the CD, make sure they're all running properly
    & only then re-establish your internet connection.

    --

    johnf

    > "wheels216" <wheels216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I
    >> was told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is
    >> this true?
    >> Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!
    >
    > You can always wipe your drive and start over which would be a new
    > drive for all intents and purposes. Before doing this, download a good
    > ad-ware remover, a couple of good spybot and spyware removers and a
    > good anti-virus program and run them to see if you can clean things up.
    > If your trojans interfere too much and make it a hassel, just wipe the
    > drive and reinstall everything. Now you will be smart enough to run a
    > software firewall and anti-adware and spybot killers along with an anti
    > virus program.

    Microsoft Updates will auto detect if there is a Virus on the system and
    give you the option to install the remover and it runs automatically not
    requiring you to reboot but when all the updates are installed the system
    will restart. A log file is creted in Windows so you can access this
    afterwards and see what it says about the virus if your computer had it.
    Otherwise look for things that are suspicious and go to Symantic and do a
    word search, if a virus or trogan is associated with such a word Symantic
    knows about it and how to deal with it especially removing it.

    "wheels216" <wheels216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have three separate Trojan viruses running in my computer! I was
    > told that I need a new hard drive to get rid of these viruses. Is this
    > true?
    > Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?! Thanks!

Trojan Virus Microsoft Windows XP