Sign in with
Your question

Asus v7100 lockups

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2001 8:45:02 AM

I believe this problem effects many cards and is caused by the same issue, which I have been unable to identify.

System locks up in games after approximately 5 minutes and sound continues to loop, forcing me to hard reset. Games include Operation Flashpoint, Max Payne, and 3DMark 2001 interactive demo. The common attribute is that all these games require DirectX 8. I have not observed this behaviour in DirectX 7 games like Soldier Of Fortune, Diablo II, although I have read that people are having issues with Counter-Strike. One post said that turning down AGP to 2x fixed the problem. In my opinion, this is only a temporary work around. This problem appears not to be related to drivers, for both video card and MB chipset, as I have tried most combinations of both. I do not know if anyone else with this problem has a VIA MB, but this may be a contributor also.

More about : asus v7100 lockups

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2001 1:44:12 PM

Incidentally, setting AGP 2x is not a solution, it merely takes twice as long to crash, for me anyway. And sound is not looping as I first thought, I had Winamp playing in the background and it continued to play normally after the game crashes. Rejoice, this problem just gets more bizzare.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2001 12:10:43 PM

This problem just keeps getting more bizzare. I have now seen a video lockup on my desktop. So my system lasts 5 minutes at AGP 4x in a 3D Game, 10 minutes in a 3D Game at AGP 2x, and a matter of hours when just in the desktop, web browsing etc. I havn't the faintest idea what could be causing behavour like this, voltage? Drivers? If I don't find a solution to this problem in a week, im returning this POS card and going back to my Voodoo 3.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2001 7:58:51 PM

hrmm, these are interesting problems. I can't think of a solution without knowing what you did to your machine between when it was working to when it stopped. Here are some possible things to check:
Ram. Given that you are having lockups more frequently with the games, which generally use a lot of ram, makes this seem a likely culprit. Also since you are having the lockups happen twice as fast with 4x than 2x makes me think that it could be that the writes to the aperture would be half as fast meaning that it would take twice as long to reach a bad address.

Over heating. Games are processor intensive which can generate a lot of heat, as I'm sure you know. Make sure that your machine is getting sufficient cooling. This one is less likely since you haven't had a problem with DX7 games, but that might be a fluke and not a rule.

As you've mentioned, drivers might be the cause. I'll assume that you are using the newest, you might want to try the drivers that came with the card. If those work then you know that the new ones have a bug, if not well it was worth a shot.

Voltage, maybe. I wouldn't know for sure without knowing more about the system you are using. If you can, try using a buddies PS. If it then works your ps might not have enough power.

Anyway I hope these help, but they are just shots in the dark so take them with a grain of salt.

Brent

To deny who I was is to deny who I am.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2001 3:40:35 AM

I didn't do anything out of the norm to my system. I re-installed my OS, with the new card to make sure nothing old on my system could screw things up.

God I hope its not RAM, I got 640Mb of it. Is there any software out there that checks your ram for you, bit by bit, like the old DOS norton tools?

Incidentally, the card itself doesn't have a unique problem, as i've had it replaced, so this problem effects all AGP-V7100, and possibly other MX cards, as I've seen a GeForce2 GTS running fine on the same MB.

I agree its unlikely to be cooling, my case is open all the time, but i'll stick a phat fan over the heatsink anyway :) 

I am sceptical that it is drivers, definately not video drivers, as I've tried the CD originals, updated Asus drivers, Detonator 21.41 (Currently installed) and 21.81. I am not so sure about VIA 4-in-1's, they have been known to cause problems so it wouldn't suprise me.

I have searched the (slow) Asus forums and have observed other people with similar problems, but no solutions suggested.

I was sceptical about PS at first, my system doesn't have a great deal of Hardware in it (SoundBlaster Live, 1 HD, 1 DVD, 1 CDR, 1 LS-120, 1 NIC, 1 SCSI). And MX arn't supposed to draw as much power as DDR's which my mate has.
But now im not so sure, my systems behavour does suggest a lack of power, I will investigate this.

Cheers
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2001 5:58:04 AM

OOO, You have 640 MB too huh? Are you running Windows 9x/ME? If so Windows is the problem and I know the fix, if you are using 2k or NT then this doesn't apply.

The vcache defaults crap out with > 512 MB ram. You need to put the line:
"MaxFileCache=524288" (or less, I use 131072 personally)

under the Vcache heading in system.ini.
You can also get a program called cacheman that will optimize these settings for your particular use.
you can find it at:
http://www.downlinx.com/proghtml/261/26113.htm

With that much ram you'll also want to put this line in 386enh part of system.ini:
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

if you haven't already.

As for a ram tester www.simmtester.com has one that works really well (IMHO). It is called docmem. You'll have to make a boot floppy, but it does that for you. BTW do not use the newer Norton to check your ram, it fails on any amount greater than 256 and will report the memory as bad.

After you apply these fixes you might need to up your agp aperture to get some games to work right (I did anyway).

I hope this helps.
Brent

To deny who I was is to deny who I am.
September 20, 2001 10:17:35 AM

AGP Driving voltage.
Do you have it set to "AUTO" in your BIOS?
I'm not sure what it does, but there are posts in this forum which say that it should be set to EA.
I have a EPoX K7XA motherboard and an ASUS 7100T Gef MX.
This specific MB is recommended to be set to BA or CA, and BA works fine for me.

I had some lockups which looks like yours before.
I changed AGP driving voltage to BA and I played counterstrike for a couple of hours with 13 bots without lockups (1024*768).

Environment:
AMD K7 600MHz
512MB RAM

Per
Links:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...

Do a "search boards" here in toms community for "AGP driving"

:lol:  <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Per on 09/20/01 12:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2001 10:40:17 AM

The P3V4X doesn't give the facility to change the AGP driving value, only the multiplyer. How should I change it?
September 20, 2001 11:25:29 AM

I don't know.
I found this on http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Gu... Driving Control

AGP Driving Control

Options : Auto, Manual

This BIOS function allows you to adjust the control of the AGP driving force. It is usually set to
Auto by default, thereby allowing the chipset to assume control and automatically adjust the AGP
driving force to suit the installed AGP card.

However, for troubleshooting or overclocking purposes, you can set the AGP Driving Control to
manual so that you can select the AGP Driving Value you want.

AGP Driving Value

Options : 00 to FF (Hex numbers)

This option is slaved to the AGP Driving Control BIOS function. If you set the AGP Driving
Control to Auto, then the value you set here won't have any effect. In order for this BIOS option to
work, you need to set the AGP Driving Control to Manual.

The AGP Driving Value determines the signal strength of the AGP bus. The higher the value, the
stronger the signal. The range of Hex values (00 to FF) translates into 0 to 255 in decimal values.
By default, the AGP Driving Value is set to DA (218) but if you are using an AGP card based on
the NVIDIA GeForce2 line of GPUs, then it's recommended that you set the AGP Driving Value to
the higher value of EA (234).

Due to the nature of this BIOS option, it's possible to use it as an aid in overclocking the AGP bus.
The AGP bus is sensitive to overclocking, especially in AGP4X mode and with sidebanding
enabled. As such, a higher AGP Driving Value may be just what you need to overclock the AGP
higher than normally possible. By raising the signal strength of the AGP bus, you can improve its
stability at overclocked speeds.

But be very, very circumspect when you increase the AGP Driving Value on an overclocked AGP
bus as your AGP card may be irreversibly damaged in the process!

BTW, contrary to some reports, increasing the AGP Driving Value won't improve the performance
of the AGP bus. It is not a performance enhancing option so you shouldn't increase the value unless
you need to.

And then there's
http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum3/HTML/0048...

Per

:lol: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2001 4:52:04 AM

Ok, now were getting somewhere, I gotta change my AGP Driving Control to Manual, and the AGP Driving value to EA (234), sweet, my BIOS does not give the facility to change these values, and its the latest update (P3V4X 1006.2), which is beta I might add *cringe*. So I have to use PowerStrip? This the only option?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2001 2:22:10 PM

Just in closure, I solved the problem by replacing my P3V4X. Using powerstrip I couldn't fix the problem so I've put an old 440BX Intel board in until I find a new board.
It works fine, not lockups, no bad artifacts. Forshame ASUS, a MB and Video card made by the same manufacuturer and totally imcompatible.
!