May I recieve help with choosing a 3d video card?

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Now that I have your attention with that out of place subject, I'd like to know what would be the best video card under $200 for my system, and the lower the price the better.(I'd prefer to keep it closer to $100)
I have an
Athlon 1.4 ghz with a 133 FSB and 10.5 multiplier
256 MB of 133 MHZ DDR ram
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI o/c to 176(I'd like to keep this just for glide, can I do that?)
20 GB Maxtor ATA 100 harddrive which I think has an RPM of 4200
17" NCD monitor which I have no idea how high it can go up to in res, but the standard drivers I am currently using allow up to 1024x768, though I do remember going up to that 12xx by whatever res a few times, but I don't remember what drivers I was using

Also, remember I can really only get video cards from computer shows or retail stores, so don't give me Internet prices, and I'd like a vid card with tv out since I have a 27" tv that can do a res of 800, which I assume means 800x600. Oh, and it has 1 AV input on the side, and 3 in the back, and 1 av out, 1 svideo(which shares audio with one of the avs), one rf, and one component.

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
the new radeon 7500 is going to retail around $200 see all the features <A HREF="http://store.yahoo.com/enpc/atirad7564ag.html" target="_new">here </A>

stand up join us modern crusaders alive

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Hmm....seems nice, a bit on the high side of what I'm willing to pay, but might as well get a card that will last. Any word if ATI will make a card based on the radeon 8500 chip but a low end version?
BTW, do you know of anything like an s-video switch, where you can have two svideo connections plugged in and just flip a switch to change between them? I know this exists for composite video.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A low-end Version of the Radeon 8500 could be in a while. Well the Radeon 7500 is good chip. Dual Head + GF2 Pro speed + Super DVD Playback make it a good choice.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

That subject line is, well, out of place... however i do appreciate the fact that you are being polite.

So:

I would recommend a Kyro II, it would do miracles on your system (it scales nicely with processor speed). +It only costs 71$ on www.pricewatch.com now. I would however recommend getting the 89$ Hercules version though. Other than that... for 109$ you can get a lovely GF2 Pro which would preform veeery nicely. Or if you prefer any one of the Radeon's (make sure it is DDR though).

My pick is the Kyro II :). The only exception to this would be if you intend to run some DX8 stuff (Tribes 2, Serious Sam etc.) in that case, i'd go for the GF2 Pro.

Your price restriction is really limiting though. Seems you have more than enough for an entry level card, but not enough for a high preformer. So you wind up with something expensive that is going to be outdated very shortly by the GF3's and Radeon 8500/7500's. My suggestion in your case would be to wait until you can fund 300$ and then go all out.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your issue is going to be your monitor. Even if you can get up to 1280x960, your refresh rate will probably not be happy. Don't spend too much on a card since you won't be using it's full capabilities anyways. These guys that are recommending you to buy a high end card are just wasting your money. Stick to the $100 level max.

With today's videocards, monitors are starting to be the bottleneck. You might want to pull out your manual or look it up on the web and see what refresh rates your monitor can physically handle with which resolutions. This will be important. What good is it if you are running at 1280x960, getting 100 fps, but the refresh rate is hurting your eyes? You'll most likely be using the lower resolution.

As for keeping the PCI card, I wouldn't see a problem doing that. I've run systems with two video cards. Just keep in mind that you will have to move your monitor over to it when you want to use it. I would keep it in there, but disable it while you aren't using it in the device manager.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
As much as I would like to like the kyro 2, all the tests I've seen put it below a geforce 2 gts most of the time. Also, alphasan, I'm not sure if you just forgot, or if you didn't fully read my post, but I asked for no Internet prices(or at least I think I did, if I didn't, then nevermind) since they vary so much, and a lot of those online stores aren't dependable, plus I wanted tv-out(for a tv capable up to 800x600 res) which is something I don't think the high end boards always have, like I don't think the radeon 8500 has it.

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Thx dhluke, that was pretty helpful, I think my monitor can handle around 70-75 Hz as the refresh rate. Hmm, I wonder if I could just leave the monitor hooked up to the voodoo3 and hook up another card to my tv, 800x600 my be considered low res, but as long as it still looks nice and I get a performance boost from it, I don't mind. I don't think my keyboard and mouse can reach it though.

Oh and(hope I remember my html markup)
</font color=red>God</font color=red> </font color=white>Bless</font color=white> </font color=blue>America!</font color=blue>

Hmm, it doesn't change colors in the preview, but it made the tags disappear....

G

If you are talking about low resolution and 16 bit with no FSAA then yes geforce 2 GTS will win...
but...
not in higher settings, in those areas kyro wins...

and kyro can throw out more than 100 fps when geforce 2 GTS is winning, so when it is required more fps for playable results on higher settings kyro wins...
(I am not talking about anisotropic filtering)
;)

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Both the Radeon VE, the Radeon 7500 and the Raeon 8500 can put out a different signal to a monitor and a TV set, it is what Dual Head is all about. Out of those 3, I would recommend the VE if you don't intend to play games, the 7500 if you do, or the 8500 if you have money to burn or want a card to last you more than 2 years <i><font color=red>(if you don't play games and don't see your self playing games in the future, then definatly don't spend the money on this one:)</font color=red></i>. And about not trusting internet retailers, were have you been shopping. I have had a few bad experiences but if you stick with ones that are trusted (<A HREF="http://www.egghead.com" target="_new">http://www.egghead.com</A>,<A HREF="http://www.buy.com" target="_new">http://www.buy.com</A>,<A HREF="http://www.compuplus.com" target="_new">http://www.compuplus.com</A> to name a few good ones) you should not worry about beeing scammed, and you can save a bundle:)

Oh, and just so you know, HTML is disabled, <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">markup is enabled</A>.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Well, after looking at the markup, I did it correctly, sort of. I had an end thing for the color on both ends. Lets try <font color=green>again</font color=green>.

G

<< My pick is the Kyro II :). The only exception to this would be if you intend to run some DX8 stuff (Tribes 2, Serious Sam etc.) in that case, i'd go for the GF2 Pro. >>

Tribes 2 and Serious Sam aren't DX8 games there DX7, also the Kyro II has all the same DX8 features as the Geforce 2 and Radeon boards.

Fox5, Kyro II at 1024x768x32 and above is faster then the Radeon in the majority of games and also as fast and sometimes faster then a GTS espcially if you up the res more or use FSAA (it's allot faster then the Radeon and GTS with FSAA). With anisotropic filtering the GTS and Radeon would be faster, but Kyro II does have a 16 sample trilinear filtering (the same number of samples as anisotropic filtering, normal trilinear filtering uses just 8 samples on all graphics boards) with no performance drop at all.

I suppose your choice will all depend on what resolution you play at most, if its 1024x768x32 and above or 640x480x32/800x600x32/1024x768x32 with FSAA then the Kyro II is a hell of a board and should be cheaper then a GTS in any store. Online its now only $70. There's both a 64mb Inno3d Kyro II 64mb and an Apollo Kyro II 64mb on pricewatch both at $70. If you want a TV-Out then there's a Hercules 64mb Kyro II TV-Out on pricewatch for $95.

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Hmm...at Babbage's, they have a 64 MB Radeon DDR for $130 or $140 with a $30 rebate(and tv out) and a radeon 32 MB DDR Dual display edition for $79 and a $30 rebate. If the Dual display edition is the same power as the 64 MB, I might get that.

Fox5

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
"Hmm...at Babbage's, they have a 64 MB Radeon DDR for $130 or $140 with a $30 rebate(and tv out) and a radeon 32 MB DDR Dual display edition for $79 and a $30 rebate. If the Dual display edition is the same power as the 64 MB, I might get that."

Do you think this is good?