Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Terrible noise on mic

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 12, 2005 9:39:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
month and a half old :(  Thank you in advance!

More about : terrible noise mic

August 12, 2005 9:48:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area, but
I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go to your
command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some diagnostics on your
audio/visual.

hope that was remotely helpful,
Greg

"visions" wrote:

> I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
> sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
> mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
> as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
> minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
> month and a half old :(  Thank you in advance!
August 12, 2005 11:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for your reply Greg, I have updated the latest drives but
unfortunately hasn't made any change. I will try the dxdiag advice and let
you know what I find out. Again, Thanks!

"Greg" wrote:

> I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area, but
> I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go to your
> command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some diagnostics on your
> audio/visual.
>
> hope that was remotely helpful,
> Greg
>
> "visions" wrote:
>
> > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
> > sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
> > mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
> > as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
> > minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
> > month and a half old :(  Thank you in advance!
Related resources
August 13, 2005 4:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can try a cheap pair of headphones(~$10) , which break off your
speakers - you may possibly be getting feedback from the speakers into the
mic.

--

johnf

> Thanks for your reply Greg, I have updated the latest drives but
> unfortunately hasn't made any change. I will try the dxdiag advice and
> let you know what I find out. Again, Thanks!
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area,
>> but I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go
>> to your command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some
>> diagnostics on your audio/visual.
>>
>> hope that was remotely helpful,
>> Greg
>>
>> "visions" wrote:
>>
>> > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB
>> > audigy 2Z sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but
>> > when I talk on the mic my sound is extremely low (even though
>> > everything is turned up as high as possible and whoever is listening
>> > to me on mic hears a noise every 15 minutes or so. Any help would be
>> > greatly appreciated. Computer is only a month and a half old :( 
>> > Thank you in advance!
August 13, 2005 4:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the advice John, I am using headphones and it's made no
difference. Does anyone know if there is a conflict between Nvidia video card
and Soundblaster sound card? The noise isn't coming from the speaker or mic,
it's like a conflict with sound card and motherboard or video card. Thanks
again John.

"johnf" wrote:

> You can try a cheap pair of headphones(~$10) , which break off your
> speakers - you may possibly be getting feedback from the speakers into the
> mic.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> > Thanks for your reply Greg, I have updated the latest drives but
> > unfortunately hasn't made any change. I will try the dxdiag advice and
> > let you know what I find out. Again, Thanks!
> >
> > "Greg" wrote:
> >
> >> I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area,
> >> but I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go
> >> to your command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some
> >> diagnostics on your audio/visual.
> >>
> >> hope that was remotely helpful,
> >> Greg
> >>
> >> "visions" wrote:
> >>
> >> > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB
> >> > audigy 2Z sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but
> >> > when I talk on the mic my sound is extremely low (even though
> >> > everything is turned up as high as possible and whoever is listening
> >> > to me on mic hears a noise every 15 minutes or so. Any help would be
> >> > greatly appreciated. Computer is only a month and a half old :( 
> >> > Thank you in advance!
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <C46F14E5-D784-46DE-9E5E-6912F8A5733E@microsoft.com>,
visions says...
> I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
> sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
> mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
> as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
> minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
> month and a half old :(  Thank you in advance!
>
Assuming you have the mic plugged into the right socket, you need to
enable the +20dB Mic boost.

Control Panel, Sounds And Audio Devices, Voice. Click on Volume under
Voice recording section. Click on Advanced button under Microphone
slider and make sure the +20dB box is ticked.
--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:48:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <6929F230-D661-4A38-9B73-4DABA5444CC8@microsoft.com>,
visions says...
> Thanks for the advice John, I am using headphones and it's made no
> difference. Does anyone know if there is a conflict between Nvidia video card
> and Soundblaster sound card? The noise isn't coming from the speaker or mic,
> it's like a conflict with sound card and motherboard or video card. Thanks
> again John.
>
You need to increase the PCI latency for the Audigy. Google for and
download the PCI Latency tool and increase it from 32 to 64.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.
!