Terrible noise on mic

I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
month and a half old :( Thank you in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about terrible noise

    I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area, but
    I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go to your
    command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some diagnostics on your
    audio/visual.

    hope that was remotely helpful,
    Greg

    "visions" wrote:

    > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
    > sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
    > mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
    > as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
    > minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
    > month and a half old :( Thank you in advance!

    Thanks for your reply Greg, I have updated the latest drives but
    unfortunately hasn't made any change. I will try the dxdiag advice and let
    you know what I find out. Again, Thanks!

    "Greg" wrote:

    > I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area, but
    > I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go to your
    > command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some diagnostics on your
    > audio/visual.
    >
    > hope that was remotely helpful,
    > Greg
    >
    > "visions" wrote:
    >
    > > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
    > > sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
    > > mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
    > > as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
    > > minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
    > > month and a half old :( Thank you in advance!

    You can try a cheap pair of headphones(~$10) , which break off your
    speakers - you may possibly be getting feedback from the speakers into the
    mic.

    --

    johnf

    > Thanks for your reply Greg, I have updated the latest drives but
    > unfortunately hasn't made any change. I will try the dxdiag advice and
    > let you know what I find out. Again, Thanks!
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    >> I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area,
    >> but I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go
    >> to your command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some
    >> diagnostics on your audio/visual.
    >>
    >> hope that was remotely helpful,
    >> Greg
    >>
    >> "visions" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB
    >> > audigy 2Z sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but
    >> > when I talk on the mic my sound is extremely low (even though
    >> > everything is turned up as high as possible and whoever is listening
    >> > to me on mic hears a noise every 15 minutes or so. Any help would be
    >> > greatly appreciated. Computer is only a month and a half old :(
    >> > Thank you in advance!

    Thanks for the advice John, I am using headphones and it's made no
    difference. Does anyone know if there is a conflict between Nvidia video card
    and Soundblaster sound card? The noise isn't coming from the speaker or mic,
    it's like a conflict with sound card and motherboard or video card. Thanks
    again John.

    "johnf" wrote:

    > You can try a cheap pair of headphones(~$10) , which break off your
    > speakers - you may possibly be getting feedback from the speakers into the
    > mic.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Thanks for your reply Greg, I have updated the latest drives but
    > > unfortunately hasn't made any change. I will try the dxdiag advice and
    > > let you know what I find out. Again, Thanks!
    > >
    > > "Greg" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've never had a sound problem so i don't know too much in this area,
    > >> but I've always found that updating drivers is very helpful. Also, go
    > >> to your command prompt and type "dxdiag". This will do some
    > >> diagnostics on your audio/visual.
    > >>
    > >> hope that was remotely helpful,
    > >> Greg

    In article <C46F14E5-D784-46DE-9E5E-6912F8A5733E@microsoft.com>,
    visions says...
    > I have an XP pro computer. I have a Nvidia video card and a SB audigy 2Z
    > sound card. What I hear coming over speakers is great, but when I talk on the
    > mic my sound is extremely low (even though everything is turned up as high
    > as possible and whoever is listening to me on mic hears a noise every 15
    > minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer is only a
    > month and a half old :( Thank you in advance!

    Assuming you have the mic plugged into the right socket, you need to
    enable the +20dB Mic boost.

    Control Panel, Sounds And Audio Devices, Voice. Click on Volume under
    Voice recording section. Click on Advanced button under Microphone
    slider and make sure the +20dB box is ticked.
    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    In article <6929F230-D661-4A38-9B73-4DABA5444CC8@microsoft.com>,
    visions says...
    > Thanks for the advice John, I am using headphones and it's made no
    > difference. Does anyone know if there is a conflict between Nvidia video card
    > and Soundblaster sound card? The noise isn't coming from the speaker or mic,
    > it's like a conflict with sound card and motherboard or video card. Thanks
    > again John.

    You need to increase the PCI latency for the Audigy. Google for and
    download the PCI Latency tool and increase it from 32 to 64.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

Windows XP