ARM Teams With GlobalFoundries for 28nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
AMD SOCs! DX11 chips+CPU+IMC+Cache. It will be expensive, but overall platforms costs will drop. Express Intel to strike first or follow suit.

Either way its good.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Date Please!!!!.... Just to say that you will go to 28nm dosn't have any value if its going to happen after 2013.... Will they have 28nm in the next 2 years, or are they just anouncing the relationhip but most likely have the product after intel in 2012?

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I believe it's sometime in 2010. That's for LP (low power) Bulk Silicon, which means it applies to mobile processors like the ARM core, and i think it is for GPUs as well.

Not to be confused with Silicon on Insulator (SOI) which is used for CPUs, Global Foundries won't have that ready until late 2010.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]CoopCHennick[/nom]I wonder if AMD will use GlobalFoundries to produce their next chips. We know they are using TSMC for their Radeons.[/citation]
GlobalFoundries is AMD's former manufacturing arm, spun off when the company re-arranged itself in an effort to become profitable again. I'm pretty sure AMD will use any suitable process GF has available.
Not sure that this, specifically, is a good process for desktop chips, though. Low leakage means lower overclocks, even if the feature size is smaller. Embedded chips have traditionally been optimized to reduce leakage while desktop chips have not, to allow for overclocking headroom.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
One also has to consider that the companies are starting to measure nm's from different components on a CPU... just recently there was an article on here about angular density being greater on Intel's 32nm parts VS the competition at 28nm. I do not know exactly what angular density means but I am sure they mean they can pack more parts in a smaller area... when I google it my head explodes after the first few pages (its early in the morning for me so maybe later I will be able to digest that)

Status
Not open for further replies.