Best vid card for Abit bx6 2.0

G

I have a Abit bx6 rev. 2.0 motherboard which supports AGP 1x and 2x. Whick video card would work best for me? Gaming is a big concideration.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I owuld get a GeForce2 GTS or a GeForce2 Pro. The Pro is SUPPOSED TO come with faster memory. Another guy posted that the Gainward PRO is comming with 4.5ns memory, which is faster than standard, at a cost of $140. The GTS goes for around $100. Any GF2 cards can also handle an 89MHz FSB which happens if you set your bus speed to 133, so having such a card is good should you decide later to upgrade to a 133FSB processor or overclock the one you have. BTW, what is your processor?

Back to you Tom...

G

I am in the process of changing processors as well. The fastesr processor the board will handle is a 700MHZ. What would you reccommend? It is a slot 1 board. The 700 only comes in a 100MHZ FSB the 6oo has a 133fsb if i am correct. would a gforce 2 ultra work with my board or a gforce3? What is the difference between a gforce 2 pro and ultra?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by weasel789 on 09/19/01 10:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an Abit bx6 rev. 2.0 too. You can overclock the front bus to 133 and if you have an sloket you can pretty much using any Pentium III processor. You might also want to make sure your RAM is PC133. I running a Pentium III 933 on this board and did not have any problem.
Since when you overclocking the front bus you will also overclock the AGP bus. I am using PCI video card avoid the problem. I am using All-in-Wonder 128 pro PCI.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually the board will handle much higher speeds, it was only TESTED as high as 700MHz because that's the fasting thing they had on hand the last time they tested it. Now for the shopping list:
1.) I recommend the PIII 700, overclocked to 933, because it is 50% cheaper than the 933 and when overclocked offers the same performance. I recommend you use the FC-PGA (Socket 370) version as it gives you more options for overclocking, cooling, etc.
2.) I recommend the Abit Slotket III for conversion as it has HARDWARE voltage switches and is inexpensive.
3.) I recommend the Evercool ND-8 cooler because it has great cooling in a shorter package (so as not to interfere with you RAM slots).
4.) ALL GeForce2 cards will work at 89MHz FSB, from the cheapest (MX200) to the best (Ultra). Right now you can get a Gainward Pro 450 with 4.5ns ram for only $140. The Ultra is much more expensive.

Back to you Tom...