GE Force 2 and DirectX problems

G

I built up this system for a buddy about 3 months ago:
1.2GhZ T-Bird
ECS K7VZA Mobo (VIA KT133 chipset)
512 mb PC-133 RAM
Gainward GEForce II MX400 64mb video
SB Live 5.1 sound

I have updated Direct X, Detonator, Liveware, flashed the BIOS, downloaded all available patches, etc., etc.

Problem is this: When running dxdiag.exe, the system goes into standby mode anytime DX tries to run a full screen test. All the windowed tests and sound tests work fine.

Any games trying to run in a full window that use Direct X also go into standby (video only, you can still hear stuff going on in the background and can get out of the program using keyboard commands.)

HELP!!!

G

bump

System:
1.2gHzT-Bird
ECS K7VZA
512mbPC133
Gainward GEForceII 64mb
SBLive!5.1 sound

Sidhartha

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I had the same problem with a Gainward Geforce2 Pro/450. I wish I could be more help, but I reformatted to fix it. I did notice that the display icon in the taskbar should be incorporated into the Expertool icon (if you have it.) You should not have both a display and Experttool icon in the taskbar. I also had problems with having the refresh rate set to optimum. It was letting the card set it too high for my monitor. I set it to a specified rate (85). Also, if I remember correctly, I installed the card's drivers and direct x separately, not at the same time from the manufacturers disk. I downloaded dx not trusting the disk anymore. I wonder if maybe my puter lost some info installing so much at once. Anyway, it works fine now.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sidhartha on 09/21/01 08:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>