Open GL or Open GL ICD

G

Greetings,

Can someone please explain what is the main difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ICD? Which one is better suited for 3D modeling such as Pro engineer, Solidworks etc.

Thank you for your time and explanation.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
OpenGL is an open API that provides a standard for creating 3D scenes.

An OpenGL ICD (Installable Client Driver) is a driver that implements all of the OpenGL functions. An OpenGL MCD (Mini Client Driver) aka MiniGL is a driver that implements only some of the functions, mainly the rasterization stuff like in the 3dfx voodoo drivers.

OpenGL has to be implemented in the form of an ICD or an MCD. You definitely want an ICD. It will be implemented in software at the least, i.e. Microsofts version. Or you'll have an implementation with some or all functions in hardware in you're graphics card like the TNT, GeForce etc.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>

G

Thank you so much for your reply.
Based on your explanation, I think the ICD is better than the MCD since it implements all the OpenGL functions. Thus all cards such as Nvidia, 3Dlab, ATI etc will perform better with ICD driver that MCD. Is my assumption correct?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Most MCD drivers like those of the early voodoo's won't even be recognised as OpenGL accelerators by most 3D Applications. The cards you mentioned have all the features to qualify them as a full opengl cards (although some have more than others), so the ogl drivers they provide are automatically ICD.

A card will only have an MCD if it doesn't implement all the necessary functions. So, I don't think these cards will have MCD's at all. Remeber whe the Voodoo 1 and Voodoo2 used to have miniGL drivers for quake and quake 2? Those are MCD's. Because, they only implement the functions needed by quake or so. You cannot use those drivers for 3D Studio max for example. Even if you somehow did manage to use them in 3DS max, they will only work with some bits.

There is no advantage in making a driver that only lets you use some of the cards features instead of all of them. So, in a sense, yes, they will perform better with ICD's.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS