Can a 3000 take a 4700 board

I have a Dimension 3000 that I am finding rather limiting in its
abilities and was wondering if anyone knows if I could replace the mobo
with a 4700. TIA
ricardo
3 answers Last reply
More about 3000 4700 board

    Yes, but:

    The power supply is different and would need to be replaced.
    The CPU is different (LGA 775 vs. socket 478 for the 3000), so you'd
    need a new one.
    The RAM is different (DDR-2 vs. DDR for the 3000).
    You'll need a PCI Express video card.

    Given that you'd need to replace the mainboard, CPU, power supply,
    heatsink, fan and video card, and given that Dell routinely offers the
    4700 for $500 or less brand new, you'd be better off selling the 3000
    and buying a 4700. It'll be cheaper.

    Edward J. Neth wrote:
    > Yes, but:
    >
    > The power supply is different and would need to be replaced.
    > The CPU is different (LGA 775 vs. socket 478 for the 3000), so you'd
    > need a new one.
    > The RAM is different (DDR-2 vs. DDR for the 3000).
    > You'll need a PCI Express video card.
    >
    > Given that you'd need to replace the mainboard, CPU, power supply,
    > heatsink, fan and video card, and given that Dell routinely offers the
    > 4700 for $500 or less brand new, you'd be better off selling the 3000
    > and buying a 4700. It'll be cheaper.
    >

    > ricardo wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Dimension 3000 that I am finding rather limiting in its
    >> abilities and was wondering if anyone knows if I could replace the
    >> mobo with a 4700. TIA
    >> ricardo
    Thanks for your input. It was a big mistake buying the 3000 in the first
    place.

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Edward J. Neth wrote:
    >> Yes, but:
    >>
    >> The power supply is different and would need to be replaced.
    >> The CPU is different (LGA 775 vs. socket 478 for the 3000), so you'd need
    >> a new one.
    >> The RAM is different (DDR-2 vs. DDR for the 3000).
    >> You'll need a PCI Express video card.
    >>
    >> Given that you'd need to replace the mainboard, CPU, power supply,
    >> heatsink, fan and video card, and given that Dell routinely offers the
    >> 4700 for $500 or less brand new, you'd be better off selling the 3000 and
    >> buying a 4700. It'll be cheaper.

    .....or the OP could look for a Dimension 4600 board. Still some issues, but
    few compared to the 4700.

    Stew

Dell Dimension Computers