Newbie: File Sharing

Paul

Splendid

Hello All,

I have two Linux machines (RH 7.2) and two Windows machines (W98) sharing a
DSL connection through a hub. Each of these machines get a real IP address
from my ISP via DHCP. File sharing between these wired machines is working
OK.

I have just added a Linksys WRT54G to the hub and would like to have my
wireless machine share files with the existing 4 machines connected to the
hub. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding out where my problem lies.

The wireless machine (Windows XP) is connected to the internet and shares
the same workgroup name as the other machines. I have added the IP address
of the WRT54G (also received from my ISP via DHCP) to the firewall settings
of each machine to allow file sharing access. Yet it does not work. I only
see the wireless machine itself in the network places on the wireless
machine, and the wireless machine does not show up on any of the wired
machines.

I know it is not the networking configuration, because if I substitute a
cable in place of the wireless it works as expected.

Other than enabling WEP, the WRT54G is running on default settings. Any and
all comments and suggestions are most welcome!
--
Paul

"Paul" <well@not.really.net> wrote in

> Hello All,
>
> I have two Linux machines (RH 7.2) and two Windows machines (W98)
> sharing a DSL connection through a hub. Each of these machines get a
> real IP address from my ISP via DHCP. File sharing between these wired
> machines is working OK.
>
> I have just added a Linksys WRT54G to the hub and would like to have
> my wireless machine share files with the existing 4 machines connected
> to the hub. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding out where my
> problem lies.
>
> The wireless machine (Windows XP) is connected to the internet and
> shares the same workgroup name as the other machines. I have added the
> IP address of the WRT54G (also received from my ISP via DHCP) to the
> firewall settings of each machine to allow file sharing access. Yet it
> does not work. I only see the wireless machine itself in the network
> places on the wireless machine, and the wireless machine does not show
> up on any of the wired machines.
>
> I know it is not the networking configuration, because if I substitute
> a cable in place of the wireless it works as expected.
>
> Other than enabling WEP, the WRT54G is running on default settings.
> Any and all comments and suggestions are most welcome!

It will most like work with WEP disabled I think. But for me in order for
the Win 2K and XP Pro (one XP wireless) to see the wireless one with WEP
enabled, I had to use NWlink IPX/SPX NetBIOS compatible on all machines
connected the the Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router.

Duane :)

"Paul" wrote:

> The wireless machine (Windows XP) is connected to the internet and shares
> the same workgroup name as the other machines. I have added the IP address
> of the WRT54G (also received from my ISP via DHCP) to the firewall settings
> of each machine to allow file sharing access. Yet it does not work. I only
> see the wireless machine itself in the network places on the wireless
> machine, and the wireless machine does not show up on any of the wired
> machines.
>
> I know it is not the networking configuration, because if I substitute a
> cable in place of the wireless it works as expected.

I had the problem you describe when I first installed wireless on my
XP laptop. I did solve the problem.

I would recommend that you consider pulling and installing the
Microsoft Windows XP Cumulative Update for Wireless connections which
you can find at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942 . This
update requires that you have already installed the XP Service Pack 1.

Good luck!

..
..
..