Error messge: Primary Hard Drive not found

Upon booting up my laptop (a latitude C840), I get the message:
"Primary Hard Drive not found. Optical Drive not found."

I assume this means that my hard drive has failed? I heard that if
both the optical drive and hard drive are not seated properly, this
message can result...

If the hard drive has in fact failed, where's the best/cheapest place
to get a new one?

TIA

if after reseating both devices, you still get that message .... i would
suspect the onboard IDE controller as being dead/defective.

Before you do anything drastic to your drive, call dell and arrange a
service call. Occasionally, going into the BIOS and changing your boot order
options, and then setting them back to a: cd: c: will straighten it out.

If that doesnt work, have dell replace your system board. I have seen this
many times (on my own) C series latitude laptop(s).

- NuTs

<defyle> wrote in message news:kt76a19hu6g0igqjpfc9gt7t1phmg2ona6@4ax.com...
> Upon booting up my laptop (a latitude C840), I get the message:
> "Primary Hard Drive not found. Optical Drive not found."
>
> I assume this means that my hard drive has failed? I heard that if
> both the optical drive and hard drive are not seated properly, this
> message can result...
>
> If the hard drive has in fact failed, where's the best/cheapest place
> to get a new one?
>
> TIA

Reseat both drives. If the drive has failed, any current 2.5" notebook
drive will work as a replacement. Seagate's drives are hard to beat now
- quiet, fast and 5 year warranty.

defyle wrote:
> Upon booting up my laptop (a latitude C840), I get the message:
> "Primary Hard Drive not found. Optical Drive not found."
>
> I assume this means that my hard drive has failed? I heard that if
> both the optical drive and hard drive are not seated properly, this
> message can result...
>
> If the hard drive has in fact failed, where's the best/cheapest place
> to get a new one?
>
> TIA

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:07:24 -0500, "NuTCrAcKeR"
<nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

>if after reseating both devices, you still get that message .... i would
>suspect the onboard IDE controller as being dead/defective.

No, if the harddrive fails on the C840 the cd-drive isnt detected
neither. Even if you remove the harddrive, you'll get the error.