Sign in with
Your question

Problems Installing XP on new machine

Last response: in Windows XP
November 7, 2003 6:09:29 AM

I have just upgraded my machine to the following specs:
A7N8X Deluxe (2.0) Motherboard Athlon XP2500 (Barton)
2x Seagate 80Gb Serial ATA Hard Disks Set up as a Striped Array using the utility built into the motherboard.
I have an XP Home OEM CD and It does not detect the Hard Drive (which I assume is now considered as one 160GB drive with the RAID setup) and it doesn't want to install.

Do I need to partition the Hard drive?
I tried with Fdisk but it misreads the size and when I tried anyway it still didn't work.

Can I use FAT32 or should I use NTFS?

What program can I use to set it up?

Help!!! I want to play on my new computer!

I'm also upgrading a friend to the same spec but he'll have Win98SE, will the process be the same?

Thanks

James
November 7, 2003 1:57:41 PM

You can, I have only one hard drives, and it's SATA.

The SATA controller drivers have to be loaded when you're installing Windows, otherwise it won't recognise the drive.

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2003 12:42:53 PM

Quote:
The SATA controller drivers have to be loaded when you're installing Windows, otherwise it won't recognise the drive.

I'd say thats one serious piece of missing information wouldn't you Wingy! :smile:

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>
!