best asus/visiontek?

G

i was wondering, is the asus v7700 gts pure 32 ddr better than the visiontek gts 64 ddr?
companywise i heard that visiontek creates ELSA cards also and that ELSA is a good brand. however, i checked out couple review sites and one had the asus v7700 gts pure 32 as 2nd best card behind the ati radeon.

driver/support wise it's not important, cuz i'll be using drivers from nVidia site since i read that asus has shotty drivers anyhow.

i'm deciding on performance, quality, and reliability vs price. actually both cards i am deciding will be around $120-130 so the price is basically in the same ball park, just need to figure out which one is better. obviously the visiontek is 64 ddr, but i'm not sure if that neccessarily beats asus. also both have no tv-out (cheaper than with tvout).

i also don't really intend to overclock, and i also will have a slot fan for the agp card.

it comes down to is the company card quality/reliability of asus better than visiontek even though visiontek has 64 megs of ddr and asus only has 32 megs of ddr. (on reviews of mx400 cards i heard going from 32-64 megs only helps very slightly, about 1 fps! i dont know if this applies to gts cards or not)

heh, this became a long post from my originally idea of "which card should i buy asus or visiontek".
thanks

i'm sporting:
p3-800mhz (133)
onboard audio (one day the SB plat 5.1 or even audigy, one day.. maybe )
384 pc133 ram
19" NEC multisync 95 monitor
40 gig hd
and my old agp banshee 16 mb
running duel boot w2k and win98lite

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Having more ram onboard your card means you can use higher resolutions and more detailed textures. it does little for absolute framerates.

and personally i would go for a geforece2pro instead of a gts.
a few bucks more for a significant performance increase.
plus, some of the pro cards can overclock to ultra levels!
i.e.
my leadtek winfaste geforce2pro (32mb) does 200core/400ddr mem stock, and 225core/466ddr mem max overclock. a very solid overclock.

One last thing. whatever card you get i suggest you try out the new Detonator 4 drivers. specifically optimised for the Geforce 3, they still boost performance of all geforce cards down to the MX.
in serious sam i went from 51fps up to 57-58. (1024x768x32bit x quality settings). not bad for a free download!
the driver revision number you wanna look for is the 21.81's.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 09/23/01 10:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>