Returning to "normal mode" from "safe mode"

I have been in safe mode for a couple of days. Nothing I do will return me
to normal mode. Tried "run msconfig.exe and checked normal mode but that
does not work. On opening windows tried f8 and it shows normal mode in
highlights but still no luck. Please help.
5 answers Last reply
More about returning normal mode safe mode

    Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
    Boot.ini tab | UNSelect the following:
    ? /SAFEBOOT

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:EFB1CA5F-F8AC-4CC1-A74E-B217387D74C8@microsoft.com,
    Sussie <Sussie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have been in safe mode for a couple of days. Nothing I do will return
    > me to normal mode. Tried "run msconfig.exe and checked normal mode but
    > that does not work. On opening windows tried f8 and it shows normal mode
    > in highlights but still no luck. Please help.

    Thank you. I have done that about 50 times to no avail. Have taken the tick
    mark out of the boot and checked off normal. Normal does show the checkmark
    but the computer still remains in safe mode. Could it be because I no longer
    can get into 'system restore'. That is another thing that it seems I cannot
    do in safe mode.

    "Sussie" wrote:

    > I have been in safe mode for a couple of days. Nothing I do will return me
    > to normal mode. Tried "run msconfig.exe and checked normal mode but that
    > does not work. On opening windows tried f8 and it shows normal mode in
    > highlights but still no luck. Please help.

    Sussie,

    Open your boot.ini file and see if it has the safeboot switch.

    Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780

    HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

    The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081

    Start | Run | Type or paste: %homedrive%\boot.ini | Click OK

    You can copy and paste the contents of your boot.ini into a message and post
    back if you want advice on how to remove the switch, if you have it.

    For example...
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL(ALTERNATESHELL)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:16001EBD-9B58-4662-87F9-8CC5F6B63F2A@microsoft.com,
    Sussie <Sussie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you. I have done that about 50 times to no avail. Have taken the
    > tick mark out of the boot and checked off normal. Normal does show the
    > checkmark but the computer still remains in safe mode. Could it be
    > because I no longer can get into 'system restore'. That is another thing
    > that it seems I cannot do in safe mode.
    >

    > "Sussie" wrote:
    >
    >> I have been in safe mode for a couple of days. Nothing I do will return
    >> me to normal mode. Tried "run msconfig.exe and checked normal mode but
    >> that does not work. On opening windows tried f8 and it shows normal
    >> mode in highlights but still no luck. Please help.

    Wesley
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"
    Hope it makes sense to you. I'm a person that truly enjoys my computer but
    not what to do when things don't work right. Thanks

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Sussie,
    >
    > Open your boot.ini file and see if it has the safeboot switch.
    >
    > Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780
    >
    > HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022
    >
    > The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081
    >
    > Start | Run | Type or paste: %homedrive%\boot.ini | Click OK
    >
    > You can copy and paste the contents of your boot.ini into a message and post
    > back if you want advice on how to remove the switch, if you have it.
    >
    > For example...
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=5
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL(ALTERNATESHELL)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:16001EBD-9B58-4662-87F9-8CC5F6B63F2A@microsoft.com,
    > Sussie <Sussie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thank you. I have done that about 50 times to no avail. Have taken the
    > > tick mark out of the boot and checked off normal. Normal does show the
    > > checkmark but the computer still remains in safe mode. Could it be
    > > because I no longer can get into 'system restore'. That is another thing
    > > that it seems I cannot do in safe mode.
    > >

    > > "Sussie" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have been in safe mode for a couple of days. Nothing I do will return
    > >> me to normal mode. Tried "run msconfig.exe and checked normal mode but
    > >> that does not work. On opening windows tried f8 and it shows normal
    > >> mode in highlights but still no luck. Please help.

  5. Quote:

    I have been in safe mode for a couple of days. Nothing I do will return me
    to normal mode. Tried "run msconfig.exe and checked normal mode but that
    does not work. On opening windows tried f8 and it shows normal mode in
    highlights but still no luck. Please help.

    1. Hit the Window key + R
    2. Type msconfig
    3. Go to boot
    4. Uncheck the safe mode