Setting up Win XP Home Edit with multi user accounts

August 13, 2005 4:35:02 PM

I just installed Win XP (home verison) on my new Dell and created multiple
user accounts for me, wife, and kids. When I logon, I get all of the MS
Office programs, but when they logon, they don't see them.

How can I configure their user accounts to also have access to MS Office
programs without having to re-install Office for each user?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:45:22 PM

Nascent wrote:
> I just installed Win XP (home verison) on my new Dell and created
> multiple user accounts for me, wife, and kids. When I logon, I get
> all of the MS Office programs, but when they logon, they don't see
> them.
>
> How can I configure their user accounts to also have access to MS
> Office programs without having to re-install Office for each user?

Copying the icons to their start menu or - easier yet - to the All Users
start menu.
(Desktop too.)

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Doug's Windows XP Security Console

Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
fundamentals don't change.

Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
Windows.

One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
"LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
normally unused by the standard user.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks for the very quick response and for the assitance!