Setting up Win XP Home Edit with multi user accounts

I just installed Win XP (home verison) on my new Dell and created multiple
user accounts for me, wife, and kids. When I logon, I get all of the MS
Office programs, but when they logon, they don't see them.

How can I configure their user accounts to also have access to MS Office
programs without having to re-install Office for each user?
2 answers Last reply
More about setting home edit multi user accounts

    Nascent wrote:
    > I just installed Win XP (home verison) on my new Dell and created
    > multiple user accounts for me, wife, and kids. When I logon, I get
    > all of the MS Office programs, but when they logon, they don't see
    > them.
    >
    > How can I configure their user accounts to also have access to MS
    > Office programs without having to re-install Office for each user?

    Copying the icons to their start menu or - easier yet - to the All Users
    start menu.
    (Desktop too.)

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks for the very quick response and for the assitance!

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Nascent wrote:
    > > I just installed Win XP (home verison) on my new Dell and created
    > > multiple user accounts for me, wife, and kids. When I logon, I get
    > > all of the MS Office programs, but when they logon, they don't see
    > > them.
    > >
    > > How can I configure their user accounts to also have access to MS
    > > Office programs without having to re-install Office for each user?
    >
    > Copying the icons to their start menu or - easier yet - to the All Users
    > start menu.
    > (Desktop too.)
    >
    > HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783
    >
    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    > Folders in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
    >
    > Doug's Windows XP Security Console
    >
    > Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    > fundamentals don't change.
    >
    > Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    > information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    > Windows.
    >
    > One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    > bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.
    >
    > Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    > to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    > users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.
    >
    > You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    > original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    > should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.
    >
    > You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    > "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    > normally unused by the standard user.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP