system restore but no cd

hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows xp pro
with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I was wondering how
i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2. Do I have to buy a FULL
version of windows xp or am I entitled to something different because I have
the COA sticker on my pc. I was planning to restore my pc and get all the
junk software out of it because most of it is garbage so is it possible to
buy a version of windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key that
came with my pc?

thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    You're asking in the wrong place. Dell sold you the PC they owe you a
    restore CD.

    mkAlias wrote:
    > hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows
    > xp pro with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I
    > was wondering how i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2.
    > Do I have to buy a FULL version of windows xp or am I entitled to
    > something different because I have the COA sticker on my pc. I was
    > planning to restore my pc and get all the junk software out of it
    > because most of it is garbage so is it possible to buy a version of
    > windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key that came with
    > my pc?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    The big poster Dell sent you with the computer tells you how to make the
    Recovery/OEM CD you need.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thank you guys soo much!

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > mkAlias wrote:
    > > hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows
    > > xp pro with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I
    > > was wondering how i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2.
    > > Do I have to buy a FULL version of windows xp or am I entitled to
    > > something different because I have the COA sticker on my pc. I was
    > > planning to restore my pc and get all the junk software out of it
    > > because most of it is garbage so is it possible to buy a version of
    > > windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key that came with
    > > my pc?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    >
    > The big poster Dell sent you with the computer tells you how to make the
    > Recovery/OEM CD you need.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    "mkAlias" <mkAlias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows xp pro
    > with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I was wondering
    > how
    > i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2. Do I have to buy a FULL
    > version of windows xp or am I entitled to something different because I
    > have
    > the COA sticker on my pc. I was planning to restore my pc and get all the
    > junk software out of it because most of it is garbage so is it possible to
    > buy a version of windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key
    > that
    > came with my pc?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of one operating system CD.
    This means that you can make one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD for
    backup purposes.

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

    The CD this procedure creates is a generic OEM Windows XP CD.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.