system restore but no cd

August 13, 2005 5:30:04 PM

hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows xp pro
with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I was wondering how
i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2. Do I have to buy a FULL
version of windows xp or am I entitled to something different because I have
the COA sticker on my pc. I was planning to restore my pc and get all the
junk software out of it because most of it is garbage so is it possible to
buy a version of windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key that
came with my pc?

thanks in advance

More about : system restore

August 13, 2005 5:56:11 PM

You're asking in the wrong place. Dell sold you the PC they owe you a
restore CD.

"mkAlias" <mkAlias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows xp pro
> with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I was wondering
> how
> i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2. Do I have to buy a FULL
> version of windows xp or am I entitled to something different because I
> have
> the COA sticker on my pc. I was planning to restore my pc and get all the
> junk software out of it because most of it is garbage so is it possible to
> buy a version of windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key
> that
> came with my pc?
>
> thanks in advance
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:01:52 PM

mkAlias wrote:
> hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows
> xp pro with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I
> was wondering how i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2.
> Do I have to buy a FULL version of windows xp or am I entitled to
> something different because I have the COA sticker on my pc. I was
> planning to restore my pc and get all the junk software out of it
> because most of it is garbage so is it possible to buy a version of
> windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key that came with
> my pc?
>
> thanks in advance

The big poster Dell sent you with the computer tells you how to make the
Recovery/OEM CD you need.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thank you guys soo much!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> mkAlias wrote:
> > hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows
> > xp pro with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I
> > was wondering how i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2.
> > Do I have to buy a FULL version of windows xp or am I entitled to
> > something different because I have the COA sticker on my pc. I was
> > planning to restore my pc and get all the junk software out of it
> > because most of it is garbage so is it possible to buy a version of
> > windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key that came with
> > my pc?
> >
> > thanks in advance
>
> The big poster Dell sent you with the computer tells you how to make the
> Recovery/OEM CD you need.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 13, 2005 8:53:46 PM

"mkAlias" <mkAlias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi i just rescently purchased a dell dim9100 with microsoft windows xp pro
> with sp2 but i did not get a restore cd with my computer. I was wondering
> how
> i would obtain a copy of windows xp pro with sp2. Do I have to buy a FULL
> version of windows xp or am I entitled to something different because I
> have
> the COA sticker on my pc. I was planning to restore my pc and get all the
> junk software out of it because most of it is garbage so is it possible to
> buy a version of windows that is just a cd or can I not use my COA key
> that
> came with my pc?
>
> thanks in advance

The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of one operating system CD.
This means that you can make one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD for
backup purposes.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

The CD this procedure creates is a generic OEM Windows XP CD.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.