Any dual core cpu laptops soon?

any laptops soon?
30 answers Last reply
More about dual core laptops soon

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > any laptops soon?

    Depends on your definition of soon, but I wouldn't expect them until at
    least '06 (mainly due to heat and power consumption issues). Right now
    the Pentium-M is arguably one of Intel's best processors in the last few
    years; personally I wouldn't wait for dual. Also all of Intel's x86
    dual cores are currently designed using Pentium-4/EE/Xeon architecture
    which is quite different that Pentium-M, so most likely the laptop
    variant will be a Pentium-4M derivative and you'll lose a lot of the
    benefits the Pentium-M has (shorter pipeline, large L2 cache, etc.).

    >Right now
    >the Pentium-M is arguably one of Intel's best processors in the last few
    >years; personally I wouldn't wait for dual.

    Thanks that's exactly the advice I needed to know

    Gonna buy a laptop soon..... maybe next few weeks

    Why buy a Pentium-M when you can get an AMD64 laptop that will outperform it
    by a large margin, have less heat, and will pay less? This decision is
    really a no-brainer. Since you are waiting a few week, look into the new
    Turion 64 processors form AMD. There are two classes, the MT an the ML.
    The ML is a 35 watt 64 bit CPU, and is meant for the power user, or those
    who need a desk top replacement in a portable form factor. The MT is a 25
    watt processor and will run rings around the Pentium-M, and will give better
    battery life than a Centrino configuration, plus you are not locked into an
    "all-Intel" solution like the Centrino...better wireless performance, etc.,
    plus you'll get the speed advantage of Hypertransport. After doing the
    comparisons, I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Intel based laptop
    at this point in time...AMD clearly has a wide lead in this area.

    Bobby

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >Right now
    >>the Pentium-M is arguably one of Intel's best processors in the last few
    >>years; personally I wouldn't wait for dual.
    >
    > Thanks that's exactly the advice I needed to know
    >
    > Gonna buy a laptop soon..... maybe next few weeks

    >After doing the
    >comparisons, I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Intel based laptop
    >at this point in time...AMD clearly has a wide lead in this area.

    Ahh yes...... sorry I did not mean to imply that I
    would only look at Intel. Sorry1

    I'm well aware of AMDs advantages over Intel in many
    respect and will def look at AMD based laptop

    However...... what brands would YOU consider that use
    AMD?

    is Averatec the only brand worth a look see for AMD
    based?

    > >After doing the
    >>comparisons, I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Intel based
    >>laptop
    >>at this point in time...AMD clearly has a wide lead in this area.
    >
    > Ahh yes...... sorry I did not mean to imply that I
    > would only look at Intel. Sorry1
    >
    > I'm well aware of AMDs advantages over Intel in many
    > respect and will def look at AMD based laptop
    >
    > However...... what brands would YOU consider that use
    > AMD?
    >
    > is Averatec the only brand worth a look see for AMD
    > based?

    No; there are many nice brands...ACER, HP, Gateway, an others all make
    laptops with AMD. There are only two OEMS that I can think of that
    foolishly have no plans to include AMD in their laptop lines...Dell and
    Sony. I have read that Toshiba is looking to include AMD as soon as it's
    contract obligations to Intel are up (Intel evidently gave Toshiba some much
    needed capital in return for a contract requiring Toshiba to use only Intel
    procs, and their market share fell after doing so).
    Sony used to be a big supporter of AMD and had many laptops built around the
    Duron chip from the K5/K6 days. However, for some reason they are also in
    bed with Intel, only offering their procs. Sony's laptop market share also
    dropped, about the same time that they stopped making PDA's.

    FWIW, I think the Turions are waiting for...haven't seen any yet on the
    retail shelves (but I live in Hawaii). HP has a cool model called the "Live
    Strong", which is signed by Lance Armstrong. In addition, $50 of each unit
    purchased will be donated to cancer research. It is a nice looking unit,
    and it has some very respectable numbers.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > Why buy a Pentium-M when you can get an AMD64 laptop that will outperform it
    > by a large margin, have less heat, and will pay less? This decision is
    > really a no-brainer.

    Can you post some links to back that up? The price is a bit less, but I
    can't find any comparisons to a mobile AMD64 chip. Anandtech has an
    interesting comparison to the desktop AMD64 in their Linux section, but
    they are using a desktop Pentium-M mobo and the older Pentium-M's (the
    7X5 series).

    > Since you are waiting a few week, look into the new
    > Turion 64 processors form AMD. There are two classes, the MT an the ML.
    > The ML is a 35 watt 64 bit CPU, and is meant for the power user, or those
    > who need a desk top replacement in a portable form factor. The MT is a 25
    > watt processor and will run rings around the Pentium-M, and will give better
    > battery life than a Centrino configuration,

    I agree it may be worth waiting until some Turion's hit the market.

    > plus you are not locked into an
    > "all-Intel" solution like the Centrino...better wireless performance, etc.,

    You can buy a Pentium-M thats not a Centrino, just don't buy the Intel
    wifi card (Dell offers two internal wifi solutions in addition to Intel's).

    > plus you'll get the speed advantage of Hypertransport. After doing the
    > comparisons, I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Intel based laptop
    > at this point in time...AMD clearly has a wide lead in this area.

    Again, I'd be interested to see some comparisons. Doing a search
    (Turion) on anandtech, tom's hardware, and hardocp, the only pertinant
    articles I found are:

    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2374&p=2
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2129&p=7
    (this review also compares the older pentium-m chips)

    > Bobby

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message

    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> >After doing the
    >>>comparisons, I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Intel based
    >>>laptop
    >>>at this point in time...AMD clearly has a wide lead in this area.
    >>
    >> Ahh yes...... sorry I did not mean to imply that I
    >> would only look at Intel. Sorry1
    >>
    >> I'm well aware of AMDs advantages over Intel in many
    >> respect and will def look at AMD based laptop
    >>
    >> However...... what brands would YOU consider that use
    >> AMD?
    >>
    >> is Averatec the only brand worth a look see for AMD
    >> based?
    >
    > No; there are many nice brands...ACER, HP, Gateway, an others all make
    > laptops with AMD. There are only two OEMS that I can think of that
    > foolishly have no plans to include AMD in their laptop lines...Dell and
    > Sony. I have read that Toshiba is looking to include AMD as soon as it's
    > contract obligations to Intel are up (Intel evidently gave Toshiba some
    > much needed capital in return for a contract requiring Toshiba to use only
    > Intel procs, and their market share fell after doing so).
    > Sony used to be a big supporter of AMD and had many laptops built around
    > the Duron chip from the K5/K6 days. However, for some reason they are
    > also in bed with Intel, only offering their procs. Sony's laptop market
    > share also dropped, about the same time that they stopped making PDA's.
    >
    > FWIW, I think the Turions are waiting for...haven't seen any yet on the
    > retail shelves (but I live in Hawaii). HP has a cool model called the
    > "Live Strong", which is signed by Lance Armstrong. In addition, $50 of
    > each unit purchased will be donated to cancer research. It is a nice
    > looking unit, and it has some very respectable numbers.

    Too bad they don't sell it to you for $50 less, so YOU can make the donation
    whatever charity you wish AND take the tax deduction rather than them.

    > Bobby

    >Sony used to be a big supporter of AMD and had many laptops built around the
    >Duron chip from the K5/K6 days.

    I'm a bit confused on what the Duron chip is.

    Is it the Athlon mobile chip?

    I cant seem to find an laptops that specifically say
    "Duron" chip on the specs. At least on the Averatec web
    page anyway.

    Can you advise?

    >> Since you are waiting a few week, look into the new
    >> Turion 64 processors form AMD.

    Oops.... sorry!

    In my previous post I meant to say Turion chip..... NOT
    Duron!!

    I'm taking it that the Turion chip isn't out in laptops
    much yet? Correct?

    >I agree it may be worth waiting until some Turion's hit the market.

    How much longer b4 they hit the market you think?

    "george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Ahh yes...... sorry I did not mean to imply that I
    >>> would only look at Intel. Sorry1
    >>>
    >>> I'm well aware of AMDs advantages over Intel in many
    >>> respect and will def look at AMD based laptop
    >>>
    >>> However...... what brands would YOU consider that use
    >>> AMD?
    >>>
    >>> is Averatec the only brand worth a look see for AMD
    >>> based?
    >>
    >> No; there are many nice brands...ACER, HP, Gateway, an others all make
    >> laptops with AMD. There are only two OEMS that I can think of that
    >> foolishly have no plans to include AMD in their laptop lines...Dell and
    >> Sony. I have read that Toshiba is looking to include AMD as soon as it's
    >> contract obligations to Intel are up (Intel evidently gave Toshiba some
    >> much needed capital in return for a contract requiring Toshiba to use
    >> only Intel procs, and their market share fell after doing so).
    >> Sony used to be a big supporter of AMD and had many laptops built around
    >> the Duron chip from the K5/K6 days. However, for some reason they are
    >> also in bed with Intel, only offering their procs. Sony's laptop market
    >> share also dropped, about the same time that they stopped making PDA's.
    >>
    >> FWIW, I think the Turions are waiting for...haven't seen any yet on the
    >> retail shelves (but I live in Hawaii). HP has a cool model called the
    >> "Live Strong", which is signed by Lance Armstrong. In addition, $50 of
    >> each unit purchased will be donated to cancer research. It is a nice
    >> looking unit, and it has some very respectable numbers.
    >>
    > Too bad they don't sell it to you for $50 less, so YOU can make the
    > donation to
    > whatever charity you wish AND take the tax deduction rather than them.
    >
    >> Bobby

    There is more to the story...

    Lance Armstrong is a cancer survivor. He does a lot of work raising money
    for cancer research.

    In addition, AMD processors were used in the design of the bikes that Mr.
    Armstrong uses in the Tour de France. They were also used in developing a
    training program for Mr. Armstong. They were used to monitor his body
    metrics, and to measure the efficiency of his body movements and peddle
    stride.

    Mr. Armstrong has been an AMD advocate for years, and has been a spokesman
    for AMD for the last two years.

    Others that advocate AMD:

    Eric Clapton (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    Carlos Santana (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    DreamWorks Studio (they use AMD Opterons in rendering all of their movies;
    Madagascar is the Latest)
    Industrial Light and Magic and George Lucas (Star Wars III was rendered on
    AMD Opteron Processors)
    The movie Sin City was rendered on AMD Opterons.

    Bobby

    > Eric Clapton (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    > Carlos Santana (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    > DreamWorks Studio (they use AMD Opterons in rendering all of their movies;
    > Madagascar is the Latest)
    > Industrial Light and Magic and George Lucas (Star Wars III was rendered on
    > AMD Opteron Processors)
    > The movie Sin City was rendered on AMD Opterons.
    >
    > Bobby

    I can see the conversation now:

    CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD
    CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based and
    replace it IMMEDIATELY!

    AND, the reason you wouldn't Tom is simply because the all mighty Dell does
    not use AMD. If Dell used AMD instead of Intel, you would be supportive of
    AMD just because of Dell.

    > >I agree it may be worth waiting until some Turion's hit the market.
    >
    > How much longer b4 they hit the market you think?

    Well, since you're in the Dell newsgroup, we can safely say

    NEVER

    Might want to try a group for a company that uses AMD

    >Well, since you're in the Dell newsgroup, we can safely say
    >
    >NEVER

    Oops... forgot where I was at!!

    Sorry!

    >> Eric Clapton (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >> Carlos Santana (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >> DreamWorks Studio (they use AMD Opterons in rendering all of their
    >> movies; Madagascar is the Latest)
    >> Industrial Light and Magic and George Lucas (Star Wars III was rendered
    >> on AMD Opteron Processors)
    >> The movie Sin City was rendered on AMD Opterons.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>

    > I can see the conversation now:
    >
    > CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    > CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD
    > CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based
    > and replace it IMMEDIATELY!

    Tom;

    Guess you didn't follow the thread. Conversation at this point was not
    about the processors, but about individuals who were supporting and/or using
    the processor,

    Bobby

    The Turion is AMD's 64 bit Mobile chip. It is available in two variants.

    ML - a 35 watt chip to be used in laptops and portables in the desk top
    replacement category.

    MT - a 25 watt chip for ultra-portables. This is the chip that will be the
    Centrino killer.

    The MT will give better batter life than the Centrino, is faster and more
    powerful, and will not lock the manufacturer into an "all Intel" solution
    like the Centrino technology does. The manufacturers love it because they
    can pair it with whatever motherboard, chipset and wireless solution they
    wish, instead of being force to use all Intel with Centrino.

    There is more information on AMD's website.

    Keep in mind that Intel does not have an current plans to market 64 bit
    laptop chips.

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > The Turion is AMD's 64 bit Mobile chip. It is available in two variants.
    >
    > ML - a 35 watt chip to be used in laptops and portables in the desk top
    > replacement category.
    >
    > MT - a 25 watt chip for ultra-portables. This is the chip that will be the
    > Centrino killer.
    >
    > The MT will give better batter life than the Centrino, is faster and more
    > powerful, and will not lock the manufacturer into an "all Intel" solution
    > like the Centrino technology does. The manufacturers love it because they
    > can pair it with whatever motherboard, chipset and wireless solution they
    > wish, instead of being force to use all Intel with Centrino.
    >
    > There is more information on AMD's website.
    >
    > Keep in mind that Intel does not have an current plans to market 64 bit
    > laptop chips.
    >
    > Bobby

    Do you know of any reviews comparing the Turion to the Pentium-M
    (preferably not one from AMD's site).

    I have nothing against AMD. I'm in the market for a widescreen laptop and am
    considering other than Dell, including the AMD CPU. Interestingly, HP
    offers AMD laptops, but NOT in their 17" widescreen, which are Intel based.
    I believe this is true of Gateway too, although they are not on my short
    list.

    AMD makes outstanding chips. I understand Dell's business decision not to
    use them, but do believe they are a better value for the money.

    All that said, the fact that these offbeat users support AMD only means that
    a) they are likely paid to do so, in either cash or product and b) has
    absolutely nothing to do with whether the product is worth a damn.

    My point about Dell and AMD is only that Dell has publicly stated they are
    Intel only.

    Contrary to the ridiculous insults through here by the anti-Dell masses, I
    have always understood Dell's strengths and weaknesses. For me, they offer a
    good product, but I am technically knowledgeable and very, very rarely
    require support.

    Tom

    >>> Eric Clapton (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >>> Carlos Santana (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >>> DreamWorks Studio (they use AMD Opterons in rendering all of their
    >>> movies; Madagascar is the Latest)
    >>> Industrial Light and Magic and George Lucas (Star Wars III was rendered
    >>> on AMD Opteron Processors)
    >>> The movie Sin City was rendered on AMD Opterons.
    >>>
    >>> Bobby
    >>>

    >> I can see the conversation now:
    >>
    >> CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    >> CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD
    >> CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based
    >> and replace it IMMEDIATELY!
    >>

    > Tom;
    >
    > Guess you didn't follow the thread. Conversation at this point was not
    > about the processors, but about individuals who were supporting and/or
    > using
    > the processor,
    >
    > Bobby

    It did morph into that, but it was not the starting point of the thread. Did
    you not read from the beginning?

    And can you not take a joke?

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    >>> I can see the conversation now:
    >>>
    >>> CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    >>> CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD
    >>> CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based
    >>> and replace it IMMEDIATELY!
    >>>

    >> Tom;
    >>
    >> Guess you didn't follow the thread. Conversation at this point was not
    >> about the processors, but about individuals who were supporting and/or
    >> using
    >> the processor,
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>

    > It did morph into that, but it was not the starting point of the thread.
    > Did you not read from the beginning?
    >
    > And can you not take a joke?
    >I guess I misread your intent...sorry.

    Point was not that they were good because Santana or Clapton use them , just
    making the point that some major names in the recording industry use them.
    Clapton switched from Intel. Not sure what Santana was using. The managing
    director of ILM (Industrial Light and Magic, the CG SF company that produced
    Star Wars III) even went so far as calling Intel "the Dark Side", and stated
    that switching to AMD Opterons was the best decision that could have been
    made.

    Bobby

    Tom Scales wrote:

    >>Eric Clapton (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >>Carlos Santana (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >>DreamWorks Studio (they use AMD Opterons in rendering all of their movies;
    >>Madagascar is the Latest)
    >>Industrial Light and Magic and George Lucas (Star Wars III was rendered on
    >>AMD Opteron Processors)
    >>The movie Sin City was rendered on AMD Opterons.
    >>
    >>Bobby
    >
    > I can see the conversation now:
    >
    > CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    > CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD

    Geez, at least use the Clapton reference! ;)

    > CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based and
    > replace it IMMEDIATELY!

    Hm, interesting timing - it worked on Steve Jobs. Apple announced
    yesterday they'll be dropping Motorola & IBM chips to use Intel (the
    backstory concentrated on laptops). I think a lot of Macaholics will
    have a hard time digesting this move to the hated Intel chip.

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >>>Eric Clapton (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >>>Carlos Santana (uses AMD computers to record/mix/master his music)
    >>>DreamWorks Studio (they use AMD Opterons in rendering all of their
    >>>movies; Madagascar is the Latest)
    >>>Industrial Light and Magic and George Lucas (Star Wars III was rendered
    >>>on AMD Opteron Processors)
    >>>The movie Sin City was rendered on AMD Opterons.
    >>>
    >>>Bobby
    >>
    >> I can see the conversation now:
    >>
    >> CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    >> CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD
    >
    > Geez, at least use the Clapton reference! ;)
    >
    >> CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based
    >> and replace it IMMEDIATELY!
    >
    > Hm, interesting timing - it worked on Steve Jobs. Apple announced
    > yesterday they'll be dropping Motorola & IBM chips to use Intel (the
    > backstory concentrated on laptops). I think a lot of Macaholics will have
    > a hard time digesting this move to the hated Intel chip.

    Yeah, they could have at least chosen an AMD. After all, Clapton did.

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message

    >>>I can see the conversation now:
    >>>
    >>>CEO: Tell me why we should make this investment in AMD technology
    >>>CIO: Well, Carlos Santana uses AMD
    >>
    >>Geez, at least use the Clapton reference! ;)
    >>
    >>>CEO: Damn, I had no idea --- through out everything that is Intel based
    >>>and replace it IMMEDIATELY!
    >>
    >>Hm, interesting timing - it worked on Steve Jobs. Apple announced
    >>yesterday they'll be dropping Motorola & IBM chips to use Intel (the
    >>backstory concentrated on laptops). I think a lot of Macaholics will have
    >>a hard time digesting this move to the hated Intel chip.
    >
    > Yeah, they could have at least chosen an AMD. After all, Clapton did.

    Right, this could cost Jobs his job!

    > any laptops soon?

    http://www.informationweek.smallbizpipeline.com/163703266
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > any laptops soon?

    http://www.smarthouse.com.au/ArticlesByTopic/HomeOffice/LaptopsandDesktops/2046
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > any laptops soon?

    most dell users are too dumb to use google to find out
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> any laptops soon?
    >
    > most dell users are too dumb to use google to find out

    What's google? I use Alta Vista.....
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>any laptops soon?
    >

    > most dell users are too dumb to use google to find out

    Although the the information week article is on topic, the second link
    you provided has nothing to do with laptops.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
    >> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>any laptops soon?
    >>

    >> most dell users are too dumb to use google to find out
    > Although the the information week article is on topic, the second link you
    > provided has nothing to do with laptops.

    true, but I was frustrated with the obscure tangent that thread took, and
    never came back from. Which happens WAYYYY too often here.
    also, in all those posts, no one ever thought to address the OP original
    question, and provide any relevant and verifiable information
    I should have added that they are also easily distracted by small shiny
    objects ... ; )

Dell Laptops CPUs Dual Core Computers Product