The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly disappeared. I
cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by unlocking the toolbars and
then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's simply just gone! Can someone help,
please? Windows XP SP2, Home version. Thank you in advance.

"JE Timothy" <jenkins_t@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly disappeared.
> I cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by unlocking the toolbars
> and then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's simply just gone! Can someone
> help, please? Windows XP SP2, Home version. Thank you in advance.

Remove this entry from the registry

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Delete 'NoFileMenu" in the right-hand pane or change the value to 0.

You also might find it at this location as well

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

--
William

Do you mean the File option on the menu bar? Otherwise, I don't see or find any File button in Windows Explorer.
Does the rest of your menu bar appear?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

JE Timothy wrote:
> The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly
> disappeared. I cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by
> unlocking the toolbars and then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's
> simply just gone! Can someone help, please? Windows XP SP2, Home
> version. Thank you in advance.

Unless you meant the Folder icon/button?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Do you mean the File option on the menu bar? Otherwise, I don't see
> or find any File button in Windows Explorer.
> Does the rest of your menu bar appear?
>

> JE Timothy wrote:
>> The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly
>> disappeared. I cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by
>> unlocking the toolbars and then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's
>> simply just gone! Can someone help, please? Windows XP SP2, Home
>> version. Thank you in advance.

Yes, I guess I used the wrong terminology. And yes, the rest of the menu bar
appears (edit, view, etc.)

JE Timothy wrote:
> The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly
> disappeared. I cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by
> unlocking the toolbars and then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's
> simply just gone! Can someone help, please? Windows XP SP2, Home
> version. Thank you in advance.

No, it's the top-most menu bar in Windows Explorer (and My Computer) from
which 'File' has disappeared.

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Do you mean the File option on the menu bar? Otherwise, I don't see
> or find any File button in Windows Explorer.
> Does the rest of your menu bar appear?
>

> JE Timothy wrote:
>> The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly
>> disappeared. I cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by
>> unlocking the toolbars and then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's
>> simply just gone! Can someone help, please? Windows XP SP2, Home
>> version. Thank you in advance.

Thanks again, William. Restored menu perfectly.

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "JE Timothy" <jenkins_t@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> The 'File' button on my Windows Explorer toolbar has suddenly
>>> disappeared. I cannot retrieve it by customizing toolbars or by
>>> unlocking the toolbars and then trying to re-size the toolbar. It's
>>> simply just gone! Can someone help, please? Windows XP SP2, Home
>>> version. Thank you in advance.
>>>

>> Remove this entry from the registry
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
>> Delete 'NoFileMenu" in the right-hand pane or change the value to 0.
>>
>> You also might find it at this location as well
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
> Thanks again, William. Restored menu perfectly.

You're welcome.

--
William