G3 Help Needed

G

So I just bought a Leadtek GF3 TDH. After pulling out my old Voodoo 5, and running it with the drivers that came with it, it would either lock up, or crash to the desk top. So I went to their site and got their newer drivers. Better performance, but same result. Then I called their tech line, and they sent me to get the new niviadetonator drivers. Now I have choppy performance with the same end result. I,m running win 98, AMD 1.3 Athlon with 512mg DDR ram, 266fsb. Yes directX 8 also. Anybody have some suggestions? Should I go to Win ME? Should I format and start over, or should I put my head in the oven.
Sean Mack
themack@optonline.net

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
head in teh oven sounds good:) I haven't had any experience w/ the leadtek TDH- I have a GF3 TD. Anyway, it may be because of lack for this new version. Not sure though. There also have been many problems w/ 95 based OS' and XP detenators.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

G

I had very similar probs with earlier model Leadtek GF3.But unlike yourself I found relief with the 21.81 drivers.How is your system temperature wise?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
A. install the detonator 4's, the 21.81's.

B. use the winfox utility to check on your GPU temps while running games. tell us what your getting.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

Thanks for the input. Update on the Questions. I did uninstall all the voodoo drivers before going to the G3, but here is a weird one. My K7 Master motherboard is default @ 1ghz for the processor. So they told me to change it in the bios to my 1333mhz, change the VCore to 750, and the CPU ratio to 10. If I run with the defaults, I don't seem to (not yet) have any problems. But once I run with it edited, Crash. The CPU temps are running fine around, Chip surface=129 and surface around=116. No I'm wondering if it's a motherboard problem??

G

I would suggest moving to Windows XP. Format your drive, install XP, and then get all the latest drivers, you should be fine.

Merrick

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
OS is not hardware, you dont have only one slot you can use.. do a double (or even more, as many you think you need) boots with dif OS'es like win2k, i always keep another OS bootable incase of imergancy or any other reson im sure you will come across.
i really recomand you to install win2k, from my point of view this is the BEST OS ever to be released.
btw i didnt get a chance yet to test the XP althogh im hearing good things about it up till now.
ifs it even half what its crancked up to be seems like a good buy and the way for mainstream OS for home users.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>