help: default directory path for xp pro SP2

Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

hi, i need help how to set the default directory path when installing
softwares . When im installing a software, the hard drive directory path
always appears the main directory path which is C: but i want the default
directory path to be D:

Is it possible to do what i want? or i have to decide where the files go
when im installing softwares.

Can anyone tell me how to set the default directory path from C: to D:

Much Appreciated. Thanks

Happy wrote:
> hi, i need help how to set the default directory path when installing
> softwares . When im installing a software, the hard drive directory
> path always appears the main directory path which is C: but i want
> the default directory path to be D:
>
> Is it possible to do what i want? or i have to decide where the files
> go when im installing softwares.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set the default directory path from C: to D:
>
> Much Appreciated. Thanks

Do you actually install software so often that manually selecting the D:
drive during the install becomes tiresome?

Most of the time - honestly - the path it gives you as default is the
program choosing it based of environment variables you SHOULD NOT change -
like %SystemDrive% and the likes. So it is the applications poor
programming - not necesarily the OS - that causes you the grief.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Happy" <cathypham@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> hi, i need help how to set the default directory path when installing
> softwares . When im installing a software, the hard drive directory path
> always appears the main directory path which is C: but i want the
> default directory path to be D:
>
> Is it possible to do what i want? or i have to decide where the files go
> when im installing softwares.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set the default directory path from C: to D:

Change the value of "ProgramFilesDir" to whatever directory you would like
at this location in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

--
William