help: default directory path for xp pro SP2

hi, i need help how to set the default directory path when installing
softwares . When im installing a software, the hard drive directory path
always appears the main directory path which is C: but i want the default
directory path to be D:

Is it possible to do what i want? or i have to decide where the files go
when im installing softwares.

Can anyone tell me how to set the default directory path from C: to D:

Much Appreciated. Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about help default directory path

    Happy wrote:
    > hi, i need help how to set the default directory path when installing
    > softwares . When im installing a software, the hard drive directory
    > path always appears the main directory path which is C: but i want
    > the default directory path to be D:
    >
    > Is it possible to do what i want? or i have to decide where the files
    > go when im installing softwares.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to set the default directory path from C: to D:
    >
    > Much Appreciated. Thanks

    Do you actually install software so often that manually selecting the D:
    drive during the install becomes tiresome?

    Most of the time - honestly - the path it gives you as default is the
    program choosing it based of environment variables you SHOULD NOT change -
    like %SystemDrive% and the likes. So it is the applications poor
    programming - not necesarily the OS - that causes you the grief.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "Happy" <cathypham@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > hi, i need help how to set the default directory path when installing
    > softwares . When im installing a software, the hard drive directory path
    > always appears the main directory path which is C: but i want the
    > default directory path to be D:
    >
    > Is it possible to do what i want? or i have to decide where the files go
    > when im installing softwares.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to set the default directory path from C: to D:

    Change the value of "ProgramFilesDir" to whatever directory you would like
    at this location in the registry:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

    --
    William

Default Windows XP