Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Long filenames - Help please.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:45:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)

Please how does one turn long filenames on.

Thanks in anticipation Cheers K

More about : long filenames

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:45:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

NekTeb wrote:
> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
>
> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
>
> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K

Eh? Turn it on where?
If you are using Windows XP - that's on.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:44:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks Shenan -- It is for my wife as she can only get 8 letters and it cuts
it off at "socks".

She used to be able to use long names --- She is using XP Prof +Sp2 etc etc

Thanks K
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:evlEgTHoFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> NekTeb wrote:
>> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
>>
>> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K
>
> Eh? Turn it on where?
> If you are using Windows XP - that's on.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:48:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To check the registry key and change it if necessary:

1. Click Start>Run.
2. Type regedit and then click OK.
3. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
4. In the right hand pane, right-click the following value, and then click Modify:
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
5. Change the number in the Value data box to: 0
Please note that this is a DWORD value, not a String or Binary value.
6. Click OK.
7. Click Registry, and then click Exit.

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.


"NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:0nxLe.83159$oJ.43249@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
>
> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
>
> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:48:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

much ---Fixed -- One happy wife ___ One very happy husband! You
have made our - =MY day. Cheers K
"TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2321wMMIoFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> To check the registry key and change it if necessary:
>
> 1. Click Start>Run.
> 2. Type regedit and then click OK.
> 3. Navigate to the following key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
> 4. In the right hand pane, right-click the following value, and then click
> Modify:
> NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
> 5. Change the number in the Value data box to: 0
> Please note that this is a DWORD value, not a String or Binary value.
> 6. Click OK.
> 7. Click Registry, and then click Exit.
>
> Note you can save the registry key first by:
> On the File menu, click Export.
> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
> Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
> require you to reinstall your operating system. Use the information
> provided at your own risk.
>
>
> "NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:0nxLe.83159$oJ.43249@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
>>
>> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K
>>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:05:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You're welcome.
Kaylene

"NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:YpALe.84373$oJ.2707@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> much ---Fixed -- One happy wife ___ One very happy husband! You have made our - =MY
> day. Cheers K
> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2321wMMIoFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> To check the registry key and change it if necessary:
>>
>> 1. Click Start>Run.
>> 2. Type regedit and then click OK.
>> 3. Navigate to the following key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
>> 4. In the right hand pane, right-click the following value, and then click Modify:
>> NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
>> 5. Change the number in the Value data box to: 0
>> Please note that this is a DWORD value, not a String or Binary value.
>> 6. Click OK.
>> 7. Click Registry, and then click Exit.
>>
>> Note you can save the registry key first by:
>> On the File menu, click Export.
>> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
>> Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
>> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
>> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you
>> to reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
>>
>>
>> "NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> news:0nxLe.83159$oJ.43249@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
>>>
>>> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
>>>
>>> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K
>>>
>>
>
>
!