Long filenames - Help please.

Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)

Please how does one turn long filenames on.

Thanks in anticipation Cheers K
5 answers Last reply
More about long filenames please

    NekTeb wrote:
    > Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
    >
    > Please how does one turn long filenames on.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation Cheers K

    Eh? Turn it on where?
    If you are using Windows XP - that's on.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks Shenan -- It is for my wife as she can only get 8 letters and it cuts
    it off at "socks".

    She used to be able to use long names --- She is using XP Prof +Sp2 etc etc

    Thanks K
    > NekTeb wrote:
    >> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
    >>
    >> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K
    >
    > Eh? Turn it on where?
    > If you are using Windows XP - that's on.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    To check the registry key and change it if necessary:

    1. Click Start>Run.
    2. Type regedit and then click OK.
    3. Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
    4. In the right hand pane, right-click the following value, and then click Modify:
    NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
    5. Change the number in the Value data box to: 0
    Please note that this is a DWORD value, not a String or Binary value.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Click Registry, and then click Exit.

    Note you can save the registry key first by:
    On the File menu, click Export.
    In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

    "NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
    >
    > Please how does one turn long filenames on.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation Cheers K

    much ---Fixed -- One happy wife ___ One very happy husband! You
    have made our - =MY day. Cheers K
    "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > To check the registry key and change it if necessary:
    >
    > 1. Click Start>Run.
    > 2. Type regedit and then click OK.
    > 3. Navigate to the following key:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
    > 4. In the right hand pane, right-click the following value, and then click
    > Modify:
    > NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
    > 5. Change the number in the Value data box to: 0
    > Please note that this is a DWORD value, not a String or Binary value.
    > 6. Click OK.
    > 7. Click Registry, and then click Exit.
    >
    > Note you can save the registry key first by:
    > On the File menu, click Export.
    > In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    > Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    > Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
    > require you to reinstall your operating system. Use the information
    > provided at your own risk.
    >

    > "NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
    >>
    >> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K

    You're welcome.
    Kaylene

    > much ---Fixed -- One happy wife ___ One very happy husband! You have made our - =MY
    > day. Cheers K
    > "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> To check the registry key and change it if necessary:
    >>
    >> 1. Click Start>Run.
    >> 2. Type regedit and then click OK.
    >> 3. Navigate to the following key:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
    >> 4. In the right hand pane, right-click the following value, and then click Modify:
    >> NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
    >> 5. Change the number in the Value data box to: 0
    >> Please note that this is a DWORD value, not a String or Binary value.
    >> 6. Click OK.
    >> 7. Click Registry, and then click Exit.
    >>
    >> Note you can save the registry key first by:
    >> On the File menu, click Export.
    >> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    >> Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    >> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    >> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you
    >> to reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
    >>

    >> "NekTeb" <kenmacl((**REMOVE**))@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, Mind has gone a blank -- (not unusual)
    >>>
    >>> Please how does one turn long filenames on.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in anticipation Cheers K

Support Microsoft Windows XP