'Access Denied' in recovery console

I have been trying to repair a malfunction in XP Home that doesn't allow me
to logon to Windows. When the computer boots up it displays a screen that
gives me 5 options for starting up, all of which restart the computer when
selected. I have been following the procedure in the XP support article
Q307545 to remedy this problem and I have made it as far as the command
prompt in the recovery console. However, when I try to type in the first
command 'md tmp' I receive the message 'access denied.'

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Are you in the \windows folder when you run that command? The Recovery
Console is limited to what folders can be accessed and written to.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ayndaroo" <ayndaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to repair a malfunction in XP Home that doesn't allow me
> to logon to Windows. When the computer boots up it displays a screen that
> gives me 5 options for starting up, all of which restart the computer when
> selected. I have been following the procedure in the XP support article
> Q307545 to remedy this problem and I have made it as far as the command
> prompt in the recovery console. However, when I try to type in the first
> command 'md tmp' I receive the message 'access denied.'
>
> Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How would I access that folder? When I am in the recovery console The command
line has something like C:\> at the root that I am trying to type 'md tmp'
into. I have tried going to the next step and copying a file from system 32
but it gives me the same message. When I am logging into recovery console it
also does not prompt me to choose a windows installation or type an
administrative password but goes directly to the C:\> line to start typeing
commands. So perhaps this has something to do with it. But I would not know
how to remedy this either.
Thanks.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you in the \windows folder when you run that command? The Recovery
> Console is limited to what folders can be accessed and written to.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "ayndaroo" <ayndaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been trying to repair a malfunction in XP Home that doesn't allow me
> > to logon to Windows. When the computer boots up it displays a screen that
> > gives me 5 options for starting up, all of which restart the computer when
> > selected. I have been following the procedure in the XP support article
> > Q307545 to remedy this problem and I have made it as far as the command
> > prompt in the recovery console. However, when I try to type in the first
> > command 'md tmp' I receive the message 'access denied.'
> >
> > Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

From the C:\> prompt, type:

CD\Windows

This should give you

C:\Windows>

Then run the md temp and other commands.

--

> How would I access that folder? When I am in the recovery console The
> command
> line has something like C:\> at the root that I am trying to type 'md tmp'
> into. I have tried going to the next step and copying a file from system
> 32
> but it gives me the same message. When I am logging into recovery console
> it
> also does not prompt me to choose a windows installation or type an
> administrative password but goes directly to the C:\> line to start
> typeing
> commands. So perhaps this has something to do with it. But I would not
> know
> how to remedy this either.
> Thanks.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are you in the \windows folder when you run that command? The Recovery
>> Console is limited to what folders can be accessed and written to.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "ayndaroo" <ayndaroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have been trying to repair a malfunction in XP Home that doesn't allow
>> >me
>> > to logon to Windows. When the computer boots up it displays a screen
>> > that
>> > gives me 5 options for starting up, all of which restart the computer
>> > when
>> > selected. I have been following the procedure in the XP support article
>> > Q307545 to remedy this problem and I have made it as far as the command
>> > prompt in the recovery console. However, when I try to type in the
>> > first
>> > command 'md tmp' I receive the message 'access denied.'
>> >
>> > Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hotdog72

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Sorry I was obviously asleep at the wheel... yes correct cd \windows... = "Access denied"

I ended up taking it to a data recovry expert and found out that one of the heads on the hard drive had corrupted the disk and damaged many sectors of the hard-drive.

Luckily I was able to recover 60% of non-backed up data.