Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access the
domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I do
reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop after
typing in the password.
Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this problem
Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

First place I'd look to try and pinpoint the problem would be the event
viewer in Administrative tools.

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access the
domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I do
reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop after
typing in the password.
Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this problem
Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This sounds very similar to the problem I'm having with XP Home. It will
lose Internet Connectivity after several hours of inactivity...somewhere in
the 4 hours area. Repairing the connection does not fix the problem. Only
logging out and then back in, or restarting, restores the Internet
Connectivity.

I've had several people tell me this is not uncommon behavior for XP.

Seems like a pretty lame way to handle Internet Connectivity.

"Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
> connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
> Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access
> the domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I
> do reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop after
> typing in the password.
> Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this problem
> Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Have a look in device manager..right click your NIC..properties and on the
power management tab make sure 'allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power' is not checked.

"Michael" <aaflyguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This sounds very similar to the problem I'm having with XP Home. It will
> lose Internet Connectivity after several hours of inactivity...somewhere
> in the 4 hours area. Repairing the connection does not fix the problem.
> Only logging out and then back in, or restarting, restores the Internet
> Connectivity.
>
> I've had several people tell me this is not uncommon behavior for XP.
>
> Seems like a pretty lame way to handle Internet Connectivity.
>
> "Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
>> connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
>> Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access
>> the domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I
>> do reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop
>> after typing in the password.
>> Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this
>> problem Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have previously disabled the power management feature (it was actually off
by default in my situation anyway).

"Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Have a look in device manager..right click your NIC..properties and on the
> power management tab make sure 'allow the computer to turn off this device
> to save power' is not checked.
>
> "Michael" <aaflyguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This sounds very similar to the problem I'm having with XP Home. It will
>> lose Internet Connectivity after several hours of inactivity...somewhere
>> in the 4 hours area. Repairing the connection does not fix the problem.
>> Only logging out and then back in, or restarting, restores the Internet
>> Connectivity.
>>
>> I've had several people tell me this is not uncommon behavior for XP.
>>
>> Seems like a pretty lame way to handle Internet Connectivity.
>>
>> "Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
>>> connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
>>> Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access
>>> the domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I
>>> do reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop
>>> after typing in the password.
>>> Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this
>>> problem Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

Well, I looked where you suggested and right before my eyes is the problem!
The thing is how to repair it? It says the AutoEnrollment is at fault.
Then it goes on to say the domain doesn't exist or cannot be found.?? It's
right where I left it! Anyone with ideas?
Thanks..

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> First place I'd look to try and pinpoint the problem would be the event
> viewer in Administrative tools.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
> connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
> Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access
> the
> domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I do
> reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop after
> typing in the password.
> Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this problem
> Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Double click the error box. That will bring up a dialog window that should
have a link in it. When you click that, another window should open asking
if you want to send that data. You'll want to do that. Then a Help and
Support window should come up that, if you're lucky, will be able to point
you in the right direction to solving you're problem. If nothing else, post
back here with info and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

--

Well, I looked where you suggested and right before my eyes is the problem!
The thing is how to repair it? It says the AutoEnrollment is at fault.
Then it goes on to say the domain doesn't exist or cannot be found.?? It's
right where I left it! Anyone with ideas?
Thanks..

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> First place I'd look to try and pinpoint the problem would be the event
> viewer in Administrative tools.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
> connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
> Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access
> the
> domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I do
> reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop after
> typing in the password.
> Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this problem
> Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

Hi guys.

Well I clicked on the links and it took me to a message that blamed the
DNS - what else is new. If all fails, blame the DNS settings. It also
explained how to disable the AutoEnrollment but I did that two weeks ago.
Here's one; I have a router that is my acting DNS server, it asigns IPs to
the computers. The server is static IP and one of my workstations is
static, the other is abtained via the router. Which IP should I set the
prefered DNS server? the router or the server PC?? I think this is also
responsible for the very ssllooww logons I am experiancing.
Thanks in advance, guys (and gals)...

....Mike

> Double click the error box. That will bring up a dialog window that
> should
> have a link in it. When you click that, another window should open asking
> if you want to send that data. You'll want to do that. Then a Help and
> Support window should come up that, if you're lucky, will be able to point
> you in the right direction to solving you're problem. If nothing else,
> post
> back here with info and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
> Well, I looked where you suggested and right before my eyes is the
> problem!
> The thing is how to repair it? It says the AutoEnrollment is at fault.
> Then it goes on to say the domain doesn't exist or cannot be found.??
> It's
> right where I left it! Anyone with ideas?
> Thanks..
>

> "Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> First place I'd look to try and pinpoint the problem would be the event
>> viewer in Administrative tools.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tinkerer
>>

>> "Mike Snelling" <mikes@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all. I have a file server (Win2K Server) and two Win XP Pro PCs
>> connected to it. I never turn the PCs off, just the monitors at night.
>> Most every morning, after all night of no activity, when I try to access
>> the
>> domain drives, it cannot find them. I have to reboot. Also, when I do
>> reboot, it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes to come to the desktop after
>> typing in the password.
>> Any ideas?? I am about ready to go back to Win2K. Never had this
>> problem
>> Win2K Pro. Any, any help would be appriciated!

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm cautiously optimistic that my problem has been solved.

I read that there was a problem with the Broadcom NIC that caused this
problem for many people and that there was driver update which I obtained
and installed. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. Yeah!

I went to my Wireless Network Configuration, where it says "Connect using"
is where it indiates the Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN. I clicked on the configure
button and then in the properties window, clicked on Update Driver. Voila.
Fixed. I hope.

MIchael