USB Card Reader Says Write Protected

Guys I have a Secure Digital CR-T2-UD Card Reader Writer.
http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html

I have had it for 12 months never a problem.

Today I have inserted my SD Card to transfer pics.

I get an error message

Cannot Delete XXXX file: The disk is write-protected. Remove the
write-protection or use another disk.

The thing is the SD Card protection is not on

The card reader doesn't have protection on it.

I have removed and reinstalled the device to eliminate any driver conflict.

I inserted my MMC card and I get the same error.

I have checked the site (http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html)
but no help.

I even attempted to format the card readers/ SDCard using windows but I get
the error/

Cannot format disk. Disk is write protected.

Any suggestions?

I haven't had this problem before with the card reader?

thanX

Darren

I meant to add that the error occurs when i try to read, write to and delete
files from the card ?

Darren

"NOSPAM" <NOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Guys I have a Secure Digital CR-T2-UD Card Reader Writer.
> http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html
>
> I have had it for 12 months never a problem.
>
> Today I have inserted my SD Card to transfer pics.
>
> I get an error message
>
> Cannot Delete XXXX file: The disk is write-protected. Remove the
> write-protection or use another disk.
>
> The thing is the SD Card protection is not on
>
> The card reader doesn't have protection on it.
>
> I have removed and reinstalled the device to eliminate any driver
> conflict.
>
> I inserted my MMC card and I get the same error.
>
> I have checked the site (http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html)
> but no help.
>
> I even attempted to format the card readers/ SDCard using windows but I
> get the error/
>
> Cannot format disk. Disk is write protected.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I haven't had this problem before with the card reader?
>
> thanX
>
> Darren

A bit of google research came up with the solution for all those having a
problem similar.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

With the name WriteProtect
Type: DWord-value
value 0 = write protection deactivated
value 1 = write protection activated

Basically changed the value from 1 to 0 and presto. It works.

"NOSPAM" <NOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Guys I have a Secure Digital CR-T2-UD Card Reader Writer.
> http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html
>
> I have had it for 12 months never a problem.
>
> Today I have inserted my SD Card to transfer pics.
>
> I get an error message
>
> Cannot Delete XXXX file: The disk is write-protected. Remove the
> write-protection or use another disk.
>
> The thing is the SD Card protection is not on
>
> The card reader doesn't have protection on it.
>
> I have removed and reinstalled the device to eliminate any driver
> conflict.
>
> I inserted my MMC card and I get the same error.
>
> I have checked the site (http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html)
> but no help.
>
> I even attempted to format the card readers/ SDCard using windows but I
> get the error/
>
> Cannot format disk. Disk is write protected.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I haven't had this problem before with the card reader?
>
> thanX
>
> Darren

speedy0070

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Darren I have the exact problem, I've tried 2 different cards. They used to work fine. Now Im getting the Write Protection msg. Please help me if uve found any solutions. Mail me : suhaibansari@live.com ..Thanks!!

Shaky_1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
About Card reader problem !! SAD... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\StroageDevicePolicies This was some of the suggestion. But when i went into regedit...here i.e HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control....in control der is no option such as STORAGE DEVICE POLICIES.. WHT 2 DO ?

garga_01

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

Answer: I found this very close - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\StorageDevicePolicies .
Notice that I do not have \Control\, and I have storage and not stroage. So you can now find in search also.
I will write a program in near future to reset it to deactivate and also instructions to how to put this at the boot time if automation is needed.