USB Card Reader Says Write Protected

Guys I have a Secure Digital CR-T2-UD Card Reader Writer.
http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html

I have had it for 12 months never a problem.

Today I have inserted my SD Card to transfer pics.

I get an error message

Cannot Delete XXXX file: The disk is write-protected. Remove the
write-protection or use another disk.

The thing is the SD Card protection is not on

The card reader doesn't have protection on it.

I have removed and reinstalled the device to eliminate any driver conflict.

I inserted my MMC card and I get the same error.

I have checked the site (http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html)
but no help.

I even attempted to format the card readers/ SDCard using windows but I get
the error/

Cannot format disk. Disk is write protected.

Any suggestions?

I haven't had this problem before with the card reader?

thanX

Darren
6 answers Last reply
More about card reader write protected

    I meant to add that the error occurs when i try to read, write to and delete
    files from the card ?

    Darren

    "NOSPAM" <NOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Guys I have a Secure Digital CR-T2-UD Card Reader Writer.
    > http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html
    >
    > I have had it for 12 months never a problem.
    >
    > Today I have inserted my SD Card to transfer pics.
    >
    > I get an error message
    >
    > Cannot Delete XXXX file: The disk is write-protected. Remove the
    > write-protection or use another disk.
    >
    > The thing is the SD Card protection is not on
    >
    > The card reader doesn't have protection on it.
    >
    > I have removed and reinstalled the device to eliminate any driver
    > conflict.
    >
    > I inserted my MMC card and I get the same error.
    >
    > I have checked the site (http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html)
    > but no help.
    >
    > I even attempted to format the card readers/ SDCard using windows but I
    > get the error/
    >
    > Cannot format disk. Disk is write protected.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I haven't had this problem before with the card reader?
    >
    > thanX
    >
    > Darren

    A bit of google research came up with the solution for all those having a
    problem similar.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

    With the name WriteProtect
    Type: DWord-value
    value 0 = write protection deactivated
    value 1 = write protection activated

    Basically changed the value from 1 to 0 and presto. It works.

    "NOSPAM" <NOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Guys I have a Secure Digital CR-T2-UD Card Reader Writer.
    > http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html
    >
    > I have had it for 12 months never a problem.
    >
    > Today I have inserted my SD Card to transfer pics.
    >
    > I get an error message
    >
    > Cannot Delete XXXX file: The disk is write-protected. Remove the
    > write-protection or use another disk.
    >
    > The thing is the SD Card protection is not on
    >
    > The card reader doesn't have protection on it.
    >
    > I have removed and reinstalled the device to eliminate any driver
    > conflict.
    >
    > I inserted my MMC card and I get the same error.
    >
    > I have checked the site (http://www.zynet.com.tw/product/cr/cr-t2-ud.html)
    > but no help.
    >
    > I even attempted to format the card readers/ SDCard using windows but I
    > get the error/
    >
    > Cannot format disk. Disk is write protected.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I haven't had this problem before with the card reader?
    >
    > thanX
    >
    > Darren

  3. Darren I have the exact problem, I've tried 2 different cards. They used to work fine. Now Im getting the Write Protection msg. Please help me if uve found any solutions. Mail me : suhaibansari@live.com ..Thanks!!
  4. About Card reader problem !! SAD... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\StroageDevicePolicies This was some of the suggestion. But when i went into regedit...here i.e HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control....in control der is no option such as STORAGE DEVICE POLICIES.. WHT 2 DO ?
  5. Shaky_1 said:
    About Card reader problem !! SAD... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\StroageDevicePolicies This was some of the suggestion. But when i went into regedit...here i.e HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control....in control der is no option such as STORAGE DEVICE POLICIES.. WHT 2 DO ?

    Answer: I found this very close - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\StorageDevicePolicies .
    Notice that I do not have \Control\, and I have storage and not stroage. So you can now find in search also.
    I will write a program in near future to reset it to deactivate and also instructions to how to put this at the boot time if automation is needed.

USB Card Reader Windows XP