Dumpfile error

I'm experimenting with a command line tool, <dumpchk.exe Dumpfile.dmp> but I
get the following error:

debugclient cannot open Dumpfile error 80070002

I've read that there may be a problem with the path but what path is that
relating to? The actual path where bug files are stored? If this is the case
can someone give me an example of the path where these files are usually
stored.
6 answers Last reply
More about dumpfile error

    Make sure that dumpchk.exe is in %windir%\system32.

    In a command prompt type:
    dumpchk /?
    Hit your Enter key.

    If you see this...
    Usage: DumpCheck [y <sympath>] <Dumpfile>
    the path is OK.

    I got this error because I have no *.dmp files...

    C:\>dumpchk.exe Dumpfile.dmp
    **** DebugClient cannot open DumpFile - error 80070002

    I got the very same error when I deleted dumpchk.exe from %windir%\system32.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3DFBDEA9-98AF-4CBC-B194-BE5EABBE3C5A@microsoft.com,
    perthy <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm experimenting with a command line tool, <dumpchk.exe Dumpfile.dmp>
    > but I get the following error:
    >
    > debugclient cannot open Dumpfile error 80070002
    >
    > I've read that there may be a problem with the path but what path is that
    > relating to? The actual path where bug files are stored? If this is the
    > case can someone give me an example of the path where these files are
    > usually stored.

    I got the Usage: DumpCheck [y <sympath>] <Dumpfile>
    answer even though the file is in c:\program files\support tools

    I don't have any stop errors so I guess i won't see a dump file.

    Thanks for the help.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Make sure that dumpchk.exe is in %windir%\system32.
    >
    > In a command prompt type:
    > dumpchk /?
    > Hit your Enter key.
    >
    > If you see this...
    > Usage: DumpCheck [y <sympath>] <Dumpfile>
    > the path is OK.
    >
    > I got this error because I have no *.dmp files...
    >
    > C:\>dumpchk.exe Dumpfile.dmp
    > **** DebugClient cannot open DumpFile - error 80070002
    >
    > I got the very same error when I deleted dumpchk.exe from %windir%\system32.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:3DFBDEA9-98AF-4CBC-B194-BE5EABBE3C5A@microsoft.com,
    > perthy <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I'm experimenting with a command line tool, <dumpchk.exe Dumpfile.dmp>
    > > but I get the following error:
    > >
    > > debugclient cannot open Dumpfile error 80070002
    > >
    > > I've read that there may be a problem with the path but what path is that
    > > relating to? The actual path where bug files are stored? If this is the
    > > case can someone give me an example of the path where these files are
    > > usually stored.

    Do a Search for *.dmp.

    %systemroot%\MEMORY.DMP is the default.

    To check the path to dump files...
    Right click My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab | Under Startup and
    Recovery | Settings button | Under Dump file:

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:19DD5975-ED63-42D6-8D3B-160AD8140050@microsoft.com,

    perthy <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I'm experimenting with a command line tool, <dumpchk.exe Dumpfile.dmp> but I
    >get the following error:
    >
    >debugclient cannot open Dumpfile error 80070002
    >
    >I've read that there may be a problem with the path but what path is that
    >relating to? The actual path where bug files are stored? If this is the case
    >can someone give me an example of the path where these files are usually
    >stored.

    There are 3 requirements that must be met in order to get a System
    Failure memory dump file created:

    1. A memory dump option must be selected in Control Panel - System -
    Advanced - Startup and Recovery Settings. If you have changed the
    setting to "no memory dump" then a memory dump will not be produced.

    2. There must be a paging file configured on the system boot
    partition. If you have changed the paging file location to a
    different drive letter then a memory dump cannot be saved.

    3. The paging file size on the system boot drive is less than the size
    of the memory dump then the dump cannot be saved. So if you have 512
    mb of RAM and you have chosed the "full memory dump" option then your
    paging file on the system boot drive must be at least 512 mb in size.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  5. I have a MEMORY.DMP file from one of our Servers, in-house (Win2003 SP1). I pulled the file off the machine, and am trying to look over it on my desktop (WinXP SP3). I have created a page file on my desktops root directory, as I didn't prior (used a page file on D: drive). I installed, and am using dumpchk.exe in the command window to look over my dump file. I get the following:

    C:\Program Files\Dump Check>dumpchk -x D:\Temp Files\Dump MEMORY.DMP
    **** DebugClient cannot open DumpFile - error 80070002

    This file is 2GB. What am I missing?
  6. You probably need to get the symbols.
    This will help explain it better.
    http://elliottback.com/wp/how-to-analyze-windows-xp-bsod-minidump-files/

Microsoft Command Line Windows XP