Linux AND Windows

JackFrost

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
Hey, gotta quick question. I have two pc's, one running Windows XP Pro and another that Im about to set up Suse Linux on. I know there is a way to view the linux box on my windows pc using Xterminal (I think). My question is if anyone knows of a good website or article on how to do this? Any help would be appreciated. I do not have the space for two monitors, so I really need a way to get this to work. Thanks.

JF

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
You have a few options. You can buy a kvm to utilize two pc's on one monitor, keyboard and mouse. If you do not need fancy pictures you can ssh or telnet into hte linux box. Remote shell (rsh) and VNC are also options. I have never used Xterminal so I don't know what to tell you about that.

Hope this helps a little...

Dev

P.S. Putty is a very good free ssh/telnet/etc client for windows. Just search for it on google or something.

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Those will work, but you can also get XWIN 32 and run X over the network to your windows box. The demo version lets you use it for 2 hours at a time for free.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

JackFrost

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
I am going to need a graphical interface, so I cannot use telnet or something like that. I once saw a person running Windows NT access Linux from his Windows PC. He was using a program called X-terminal.

JF

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like X-terminal does the same thing as XWIN 32 then. They both let you run X across the network.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.