Sign in with
Your question

XP Pro / 7 dual boot problem

Last response: in Windows 7
July 19, 2010 7:44:01 AM

Hey guys quick question,

I've been running xp pro sp3 and just installed 7 Enterprise on an empty hard drive on my computer. After the install finished 7 loaded up and I started setting stuff up. I had to restart b/c of some changes I made and when my computer restarted it loaded XP Pro, I thought that I should have had an option of which OS I wanted to load.

I've done some searching and everything I've read says that as long as 7 was installed after XP I should get a bootloader asking which to load. What am I missing?

Edit: Does it matter that I installed it on a seperate drive instead of on the same drive with XP using partitions?

Thanks!!

More about : pro dual boot problem

a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 1:45:20 PM

Separate drives? You should be able to press f8 during start up to select which one. If you'd like to be presented with the choice each time, boot to your Windows 7 DVD, select 'Install', and on the second screen in the lower left choose "Repair". (OK.. OK... OK... Restart...) That will run a start up repair, and set Win 7's boot loader up to start either 7 or XP when you choose.
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:09:54 PM

Scotteq said:
Separate drives? You should be able to press f8 during start up to select which one. If you'd like to be presented with the choice each time, boot to your Windows 7 DVD, select 'Install', and on the second screen in the lower left choose "Repair". (OK.. OK... OK... Restart...) That will run a start up repair, and set Win 7's boot loader up to start either 7 or XP when you choose.

Seperate drives becuase I'm doing this as a trail, if everything ends up working out I will ONLY be using 7 but I don't want to trash my exisiting windows install and partitions.

I've looked through all the bios options I have to choose from and I can't find an option to let me select which had drive is the primary boot drive, it lets me select boot order between the hdd cdrom ect ect.

I've also tried repairing windows 7 each time I do it though it says that there is nothing to be repaired.

Any other ideas?
m
l
!