My son downloaded a file which was identified by AVG as containing the
worm\spybot. When the warning flashed up he clicked on the continue
button thinking that the warning referred to the Spybot spyware program
we run from time to time.

I carried out a full scan which found 2 references to the worm & the
files have now been "healed"

I have read up on this worm (also called P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a), which
amongst other things can install a keyboard logger & am concerned whilst
the files may have been quarantined the result of their infiltration may
still be active on my pc.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or are their any tests I should be carrying out?

I have run another full AVG Scan, and have run a Symantic online scan,
both of which came up clear. I have also run AdAware & Spybot for adware.

I am running XP Pro & use Zonealarm.

Any adice would be greatly appreciated, please.

TIA

Pebso

Pebso wrote:
> My son downloaded a file which was identified by AVG as containing the
> worm\spybot. When the warning flashed up he clicked on the continue
> button thinking that the warning referred to the Spybot spyware program
> we run from time to time.
>
> I carried out a full scan which found 2 references to the worm & the
> files have now been "healed"
>
> I have read up on this worm (also called P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a), which
> amongst other things can install a keyboard logger & am concerned whilst
> the files may have been quarantined the result of their infiltration may
> still be active on my pc.
>
> Am I worrying unnecessarily or are their any tests I should be carrying
> out?
>
> I have run another full AVG Scan, and have run a Symantic online scan,
> both of which came up clear. I have also run AdAware & Spybot for adware.
>
> I am running XP Pro & use Zonealarm.
>
> Any adice would be greatly appreciated, please.
>
> TIA
>
> Pebso
I forgot. Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then
attempted to run the file. He received a woarning message to the effect
that it wasn't a valid "exe" file and at that point referred it to me,
to tell him why his program didn't run.

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en