Redhawk

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005

Due to a recent pc failure, I had to do a system recovery.
Now I no longer have the option to put my pc on Standby.
What do I do?

The lack of a Standby button indicates you are using XP's
generic VGA drivers.

Your video adapter drivers probably need to be reinstalled.
Visit the support web site of the manufacturer of your video
card adapter and download the latest drivers.

Before installing them, uninstall the old drivers. In your
Control Panel, open the Add or Remove Programs applet
and look for your video drivers to uninstall.

If you happen to have a notebook computer, visit the notebook
manufacturer's support website to download the correct video
adapter drivers for your specific notebook model.

After installing a fresh set of drivers, right-click on your
desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the Color
Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution
to your liking, then click on Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"RedHawk" wrote:

| Due to a recent pc failure, I had to do a system recovery.
| Now I no longer have the option to put my pc on Standby.
| What do I do?

Redhawk

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for your prompt reply!
How do I determine which drivers I need?
The Gateway site has several to choose from.
They have a "Download Assistant" that doesn't offer much help.....

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The lack of a Standby button indicates you are using XP's
> generic VGA drivers.
>
> Your video adapter drivers probably need to be reinstalled.
> Visit the support web site of the manufacturer of your video
> card adapter and download the latest drivers.
>
> Before installing them, uninstall the old drivers. In your
> Control Panel, open the Add or Remove Programs applet
> and look for your video drivers to uninstall.
>
> If you happen to have a notebook computer, visit the notebook
> manufacturer's support website to download the correct video
> adapter drivers for your specific notebook model.
>
> After installing a fresh set of drivers, right-click on your
> desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the Color
> Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution
> to your liking, then click on Apply.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "RedHawk" wrote:
>
> | Due to a recent pc failure, I had to do a system recovery.
> | Now I no longer have the option to put my pc on Standby.
> | What do I do?

TRENDING THREADS