Sign in with
Your question

somebody please help me

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 9, 2003 6:49:50 AM

I just installed linux and now I can't boot windows xp. I used partition magic to create the partitions and then linux have me a warning during the installation that the partition tables were incorrect. I know i did not overwrite the windows parition. When I try to load windows with the linux booter Grud or something i get a blank screen. I tried to use the rescue disks with parition magic and it just gives me an error 114. Please help me, I need the data on my windows paritions.

More about : question

November 9, 2003 4:23:36 PM

The data is probably still there, it's just that your partition table is corrupted. Basically, your computer has no idea where to look for the files. Can you see any data on your windows partition while in linux?

1. The safest way to go about this is to boot linux and then burn whatever files you need from your windows partition to a CD. That way you will at least have a backup in case you have to reformat. However, if your tables are really messed up that badly, then you might not be able to even see the files on your windows partiton from linux.

2. If that doesn't work, then my best guess would be to use the linux partition manager (boot from CD) to reset your partitions back to EXACTLY what you had before. Don't format anything, just write the partition table. If it works, you should be able to just boot into windows again (do an fdisk /mbr too, just to get the windows loader back on there).

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to say, other than don't use partition magic next time. I've been burned by that program myself a few times now (lost all data etc), so I never use it. If I have to re-partition I either use the linux version of fdisk or the GUI partition creater from the cd.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
November 9, 2003 4:24:16 PM

Oh, and there MAY be some kind of partition table repair tool you can download, but I don't know of any off hand.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
November 11, 2003 11:40:33 PM

In linux you can start a partitioning software like fdisk or something, and set the windows partition as the boot partition. That might boot you into windows. Make a boot disk in linux just incase you need to get back to linux.

Do you have a second hard disk?

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>
!