Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Alienware Randomly Freezes for a Few Seconds at Random Intervals

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 17, 2013 4:15:23 PM

Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I didn't know where else to put it.

Righty. I have an Alienware M14X and it has been running fine for the year that I have had it. But within the past week, it would randomly freeze up for only a few seconds at a time at random points in time.

For example: I was browsing the web trying to find an answer (with no luck), and I was typing my question into Google when the computer froze. After a few seconds, my words magicly appeared. It is like the display is freezing. My music will still run fine when it freezes, along with my videos and such.

I have an external mouse along with my touchpad, and when the computer freezes, no input works.

So I have no idea what this could be. My CPU is only at 8% and my RAM is at 7/16GB used.

I know it isn't overheating because I have my window open and my cooling fans on; my current temperature (cpu) is 70C and gpu is at 53C.

Any ideas of what is happening is appreciated.

Thank you.
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2013 4:23:53 PM

Your CPU idles at 70c? Um thats an issue. Mine doesnt go over 50 under full load.
m
l

Best solution

February 17, 2013 4:28:22 PM

Quote:
Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I didn't know where else to put it.

Righty. I have an Alienware M14X and it has been running fine for the year that I have had it. But within the past week, it would randomly freeze up for only a few seconds at a time at random points in time.

For example: I was browsing the web trying to find an answer (with no luck), and I was typing my question into Google when the computer froze. After a few seconds, my words magicly appeared. It is like the display is freezing. My music will still run fine when it freezes, along with my videos and such.

I have an external mouse along with my touchpad, and when the computer freezes, no input works.

So I have no idea what this could be. My CPU is only at 8% and my RAM is at 7/16GB used.

I know it isn't overheating because I have my window open and my cooling fans on; my current temperature (cpu) is 70C and gpu is at 53C.

Any ideas of what is happening is appreciated.

Thank you.

Two things come to mind: 1. You are running out of hard drive space and 2. Your drive needs to be defraged.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2013 4:29:46 PM

Quote:
Two things come to mind: 1. You are running out of hard drive space and 2. Your drive needs to be defraged.

The 70c CPU at idle doesnt concern you? Full HDD does? Wow.
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 4:36:11 PM

Quote:
The 70c CPU at idle doesnt concern you? Full HDD does? Wow.

Hi :) 

Its a Laptop , although that is a little high...

COMPRESSED air to clean out fan and FULL hard drive test (HIRENS CD) ETC...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 4:37:06 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Laptops & Notebooks by Brett928S2
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:47:12 PM

Right. I have seen my CPU go up to 105C with no issues. I have 170GB of disk space left, and I already blew out the fans with compressed air. Also, I am now at 65C for the CPU.

I shall defrag my HDD, since this will be the first time.. That isn't good, is it?
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:47:33 PM

Edit: 6% fragmented. Might as well defrag it
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 11:25:28 PM

Jacob843 said:
Edit: 6% fragmented. Might as well defrag it

I think you NEED to run a FULL hard drive test, not defrag it (although that's always a good thing)

m
l
February 17, 2013 11:30:05 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I think you NEED to run a FULL hard drive test, not defrag it (although that's always a good thing)

I defrag'ed it and it isn't freezing that often, only once when I was playing WarZ, and that is probably from heat. I am also doing a test.
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:20:19 PM

Hard drive is defraged and no errors from the test.

NO MORE FREEZING! YIPPE!
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:20:46 PM

Best answer selected by Jacob843.
m
l
!