Accidentally erased XP Home Edition Search Companion

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • DLL
August 14, 2005 3:19:02 PM

In trying to chase out an annoying ad/spyware called 180SearchAssistant, I
erased the Folder srchasst under C:\Windows\srchasst, which included, to the
best of my knowledge the following Sub-folders: CHARS and MUI; and the
following separate files: msgr3en.dll, srchctls.dll, nls302en.lex, srchui.dll.

The Folders and files were placed in the Recycle Bin, and it was emptied.

Now, when I click Start+Search, XP gives me several alert beeps, and the
following Error Message: "A file needed to run Search Companion was not
found. You may have to run setup."

Can someone please tell me what steps I may take to reconstitute my Search
Companion? My XP Home Edition came bundled with my OEM-built PC. I have
verified that my Windows XP is genuine.

Thanks,

More about : accidentally erased home edition search companion

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:38:23 PM

Reinstall the Search Companion Files:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
2. Click Start, click Run, type: %systemroot%\inf , and then click OK.
3. Locate the "Srchasst.inf" file.
4. Right-click the "Srchasst.inf" file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the files
that Search Companion uses.

NOTE: You may need your Windows XP CD-ROM to finish installing Search Companion.

Windows XP Search Problems
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bushp04" wrote:

| In trying to chase out an annoying ad/spyware called 180SearchAssistant, I
| erased the Folder srchasst under C:\Windows\srchasst, which included, to the
| best of my knowledge the following Sub-folders: CHARS and MUI; and the
| following separate files: msgr3en.dll, srchctls.dll, nls302en.lex, srchui.dll.
|
| The Folders and files were placed in the Recycle Bin, and it was emptied.
|
| Now, when I click Start+Search, XP gives me several alert beeps, and the
| following Error Message: "A file needed to run Search Companion was not
| found. You may have to run setup."
|
| Can someone please tell me what steps I may take to reconstitute my Search
| Companion? My XP Home Edition came bundled with my OEM-built PC. I have
| verified that my Windows XP is genuine.
|
| Thanks,
August 14, 2005 11:29:12 PM

See System File checker in winxp help

"bushp04" <bushp04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In trying to chase out an annoying ad/spyware called 180SearchAssistant, I
> erased the Folder srchasst under C:\Windows\srchasst, which included, to
the
> best of my knowledge the following Sub-folders: CHARS and MUI; and the
> following separate files: msgr3en.dll, srchctls.dll, nls302en.lex,
srchui.dll.

> The Folders and files were placed in the Recycle Bin, and it was emptied.
>
> Now, when I click Start+Search, XP gives me several alert beeps, and the
> following Error Message: "A file needed to run Search Companion was not
> found. You may have to run setup."
>
> Can someone please tell me what steps I may take to reconstitute my Search
> Companion? My XP Home Edition came bundled with my OEM-built PC. I have
> verified that my Windows XP is genuine.
>
> Thanks,

August 15, 2005 12:02:02 PM

Carey, Thank you for responding.

Srchasst.inf is not in my INF Folder. I must have ferreted it out with the
rest of them? When you say that I may need my XP CD, please recall that
this was bundled in my PC. The only CD I have is a Recovery CD-ROM for
Windows XP Home Edition SP1A provided with my PC purchased in May, 2005.

I have SP2 on my PC now, so what would you suggest my next step be?
bushp04

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Reinstall the Search Companion Files:
>
> 1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
> 2. Click Start, click Run, type: %systemroot%\inf , and then click OK.
> 3. Locate the "Srchasst.inf" file.
> 4. Right-click the "Srchasst.inf" file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the files
> that Search Companion uses.
>
> NOTE: You may need your Windows XP CD-ROM to finish installing Search Companion.
>
> Windows XP Search Problems
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "bushp04" wrote:
>
> | In trying to chase out an annoying ad/spyware called 180SearchAssistant, I
> | erased the Folder srchasst under C:\Windows\srchasst, which included, to the
> | best of my knowledge the following Sub-folders: CHARS and MUI; and the
> | following separate files: msgr3en.dll, srchctls.dll, nls302en.lex, srchui.dll.
> |
> | The Folders and files were placed in the Recycle Bin, and it was emptied.
> |
> | Now, when I click Start+Search, XP gives me several alert beeps, and the
> | following Error Message: "A file needed to run Search Companion was not
> | found. You may have to run setup."
> |
> | Can someone please tell me what steps I may take to reconstitute my Search
> | Companion? My XP Home Edition came bundled with my OEM-built PC. I have
> | verified that my Windows XP is genuine.
> |
> | Thanks,

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:31:05 PM

Thank you for responding, DL. Where is the winxp help of which you speak?
Mine has a "Help and Support" link when I click Start, but I can find nothing
about System File checker. Couold you please tell me how to find the winxp
you're talking about? Thanks.

!