Monitor switches off!

G

I have installed a new graphics card -G-Force2 MX/400 AGP (64MB onboard memory) and now my monitor switches itself off, even though I can hear Windows boot up. I have an AMD Thunderbird 1000 Ghz processor on a Soltek SL-75KAV Mainboard, with a Via chipset, 256 MB RAM, running Win 98 SE and IE 5.5. Does anyone know if there are any conflicts with my monitor- a Iiyama Vision Master 400, or any other explanation. Need help! Thanks.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
when you boot up keep tapping the "F8" key until you get an option to boot into Safe Mode. When your in safe mode make sure your video settings are at 640x480 and a low refresh rate like 60 Hertz.

It seems like your problem is trying to run your monitor at a higher refresh rate or resolution than it can handle.

G

I tried changing the res to 640x480 and refresh rate from 75 to 72, then 70, then 60, then 'adaptor default'. The monitor switched off each time I tried the new card. I have left a posting on Iiyama.uk forum and support site, but I have received no reply. Do you have any other suggestions?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have video during POST? If you do then read on.

If you think your system is mis-detecting your monitor try this.

Shutdown the system. Turn off the monitor. Restart the system with the monitor still off. When you hear that Windows has finished booting turn on the monitor.

When Windows starts without a monitor available it should load the default monitor driver. Hopefully this will allow your video to work.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

G

No, there is nothing on the screen when Windows boots up, then after a few seconds the monitor just switches off, but I can still hear Windows loading. I have tried to switch the monitor on late, but it switches off each time. Still need help!

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
make sure your video card is plugged in all the way, and make sure your monitor is plugged in all the way too. If the monitor doesn't get a video signal at all it'll shut itself off.
I had my monitor plug half way in one time and I shook my desk and the cable fell out, I went nuts trying to figure out why I would reboot and not get anything on my monitor, man I felt silly 10 minutes later when I looked behind to see it had come unplugged.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can try <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">www.geforcefaq.com</A> for tips.

These are all that I can think of, off-hand.

1. Try another monitor.

2. An inadequate power supply can be a problem. What are the specs for yours?

3. AGP not set as primary video. Check if your BIOS has PCI video set as primary.

4. As Oni said, check your cables but don't neglect to check for bent pins.

5. Might need to adjust the AGP drive strength. <b>This is very risky. A wrong value might render a motherboard unusable</b> (Well, I've heard two claims to this effect). Personally, I think one can raise the AGP drive strength. Just don't lower it below defaults but don't take the warning lightly. Under different circumstances, I recommend using WPCREDIT or Power Strip when playing with AGP drive strength values because with these apps the change is not permanent. However, this would only be useful on a system where the video at least partially works.

No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/01/01 09:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have checked all cables and they are very secure, my monitor works fine with my old PCI video card which I have to use to access this site. My old card is Velocity 4400 PCI running on Nvidia 208 upgraded drivers. I bought a new card because I wanted to take advantage of my AGP slot, and free up a PCI slot. My monitor is only 2.5 yrs old, a 17", which I expected from Iiyama to take anything it was thrown at it.
I have enabled AGP in Bios and selected AGP as init display. I haven't got the knowledge or confidence to change anything critical on the motherboard, so it seems I am stuck at the moment with no solution to this monitor/videocard problem, but I will go to the site you suggest. Thanks.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Its not the monitor at all, its your video card drivers. I have had many (many, many ;() similar problems with Win98. One time the system would boot, then boot me to some horrible, blue lined thing. Another time, the screen would freeze at the last stage of booting, but the system had abviously loaded windows (I could hear the startup sound, etc.). Both times it was drivers. Check all your drivers, including VIA 4in1s. Boot into safe mode, and UNINSTALL YOUR DISPLAY ADAPTOR. Then, boot the computer normally,and install the driver of your choice. Good Luck.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

Just to give you the latest.
Iiyama support site that I sent an email to, phoned today to say they think they know the problem, and are going to send me a free upgraded monitor cable. I am crossing my fingers that this works. Thanks for all help. Will let you know the outcome.

G

Last post on this subject.
Received cable from Iiyama, it was a BNC connection to the back of the monitor. It worked a treat. Very happy now that my new video card works. See ya, and thanks all.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Glad it's working.

Using BNC connections was a recommendation at www.geforcefaq.com for a different problem. Win2K also has trouble detecting the capababilities of Iiyama monitors but in this case the monitors work but refressh rates are restricted.

No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

TRENDING THREADS