I am trying to get Pinnacle Studio Plus 9 to run. It installs fine but as
soon as I open the application it crashes, sending an error report
(_appcompat.txt) to microsoft. I have installed the most recent drivers
available for my graphics and audio cards so that can't be the problem.
Anyone experinced anything similar?

Keith

"Keith Truman" <keith.truman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to get Pinnacle Studio Plus 9 to run. It installs fine but as
>soon as I open the application it crashes, sending an error report
>(_appcompat.txt) to microsoft. I have installed the most recent drivers
>available for my graphics and audio cards so that can't be the problem.
> Anyone experinced anything similar?

Pinnacle Studio is a very demanding program. It will find marginal hardware
every time. Download and run Memtest86+ for several hours to make sure your
ram is good. If your video card manufacturer has any diagnostic utilities
use them. In other words make sure your hardware is up to the task. Some low
cost motherboards, ram and video cards just plain won't work with Pinnace
Studio.

There are many problems with Pinnacle Studio 9 and XP. It usually is due to
some incompatible codec being installed. On some systems the folowing
procedure is the only way I've been able to get it to work. On other systems
it installs and runs just fine.

1) Clean install of Windows. This means you have to format the hard drive so
make sure you have verified backups of any important data. Install Windows,
install firewall if pre-SP2, install latest drivers, install Windows
updates. If you have an OEM like Dell, HP/Compaq, eMachines this is not
possible. You can only use the restore CD/DVD. This means you may not get
Pinnacle Studio working because they include several multimedia extras like
Music Match and others that may not be compatible with Pinnacle Studio.

2) Install Pinnacle Studio, don't run it, install Pinnacle Studio updates
and patches.

3) Test Pinnacle Studio.

4) If it works re-install programs, restore data etc. If it doesn't contact
Pinnacle support as you now have a clean system. Their first question is
always "What else do you have installed?". I think this is so they can blame
something other than Pinnacle Studio :)

Kerry

Kerry