cd/dvd drive doesn't work anymore

The cd/dvd drive on the computer (D: drive) no longer reads any type of disk
--dvd, data cd, or music cd-- and I can't figure out why. Whenever I put a
disk into the drive, the light next to the drive flashes like it is
functioning, but the computer fails to recognize that there is a disk in
there. If I click on the D: drive under My Computer, it prompts me to enter a
disk into the drive. I followed all the steps under XP's help and support
center for when the drive stops working, but it didn't help at all. This is
very frustrating. Can anyone help?
2 answers Last reply
More about drive doesn work anymore

    yep, me having the same problem. Whenever i try and run a disk from either
    e:(cd-rom) or d:(dvd-rom) drive they both say the drive is not recognisable
    and cannot be found. Tried booting my computer from disk but still doesnt
    work and when i go troubleshoot the problem it comes up with page on summat
    nothin to do with the problem!

    Hi,

    Try a CD lens cleaner disk. These are commonly available at any store that
    sells CD or DVD media.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Laura87" <Laura87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The cd/dvd drive on the computer (D: drive) no longer reads any type of
    > disk
    > --dvd, data cd, or music cd-- and I can't figure out why. Whenever I put a
    > disk into the drive, the light next to the drive flashes like it is
    > functioning, but the computer fails to recognize that there is a disk in
    > there. If I click on the D: drive under My Computer, it prompts me to
    > enter a
    > disk into the drive. I followed all the steps under XP's help and support
    > center for when the drive stops working, but it didn't help at all. This
    > is
    > very frustrating. Can anyone help?

CD-Rom Computers DVD Drives Windows XP