cd/dvd drive doesn't work anymore

The cd/dvd drive on the computer (D: drive) no longer reads any type of disk
--dvd, data cd, or music cd-- and I can't figure out why. Whenever I put a
disk into the drive, the light next to the drive flashes like it is
functioning, but the computer fails to recognize that there is a disk in
there. If I click on the D: drive under My Computer, it prompts me to enter a
disk into the drive. I followed all the steps under XP's help and support
center for when the drive stops working, but it didn't help at all. This is
very frustrating. Can anyone help?

yep, me having the same problem. Whenever i try and run a disk from either
e:(cd-rom) or d:(dvd-rom) drive they both say the drive is not recognisable
and cannot be found. Tried booting my computer from disk but still doesnt
work and when i go troubleshoot the problem it comes up with page on summat
nothin to do with the problem!

Hi,

Try a CD lens cleaner disk. These are commonly available at any store that
sells CD or DVD media.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Laura87" <Laura87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The cd/dvd drive on the computer (D: drive) no longer reads any type of
> disk
> --dvd, data cd, or music cd-- and I can't figure out why. Whenever I put a
> disk into the drive, the light next to the drive flashes like it is
> functioning, but the computer fails to recognize that there is a disk in
> there. If I click on the D: drive under My Computer, it prompts me to
> enter a
> disk into the drive. I followed all the steps under XP's help and support
> center for when the drive stops working, but it didn't help at all. This
> is
> very frustrating. Can anyone help?

TRENDING THREADS