Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hp g60 not displaying on external monitor

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
February 17, 2013 7:56:45 PM

as you can tell from the title i have a hp g60 and the monitor is dead, i was thinking of turning it headless and setting it up as a desktop, but when i plug it in to a monitor nothing happens at all it just stays blank it, not sure what to do any help is nice :) 

i've tried the fn+f4 thing but i'm not sure it works until the computer is actually in windows

nevermind its fine now

More about : g60 displaying external monitor

a b α HP
a b C Monitor
a c 249 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 11:17:18 PM

902 said:
as you can tell from the title i have a hp g60 and the monitor is dead, i was thinking of turning it headless and setting it up as a desktop, but when i plug it in to a monitor nothing happens at all it just stays blank it, not sure what to do any help is nice :) 

i've tried the fn+f4 thing but i'm not sure it works until the computer is actually in windows

nevermind its fine now



Hi :) 

The Function key for graphics works from the second you press the power button to start the machine, as long as the EXTERNAL screen is plugged in to the VGA port and powered....

All the best Brett :) 
February 17, 2013 11:26:37 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

The Function key for graphics works from the second you press the power button to start the machine, as long as the EXTERNAL screen is plugged in to the VGA port and powered....

All the best Brett :) 



well since you're up i was wondering can i completely disconnect the screen and all wires or will there be wires hanging out of it?
Related resources
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
a c 249 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 11:28:33 PM

902 said:
well since you're up i was wondering can i completely disconnect the screen and all wires or will there be wires hanging out of it?



Hi :) 

Yes you can, but personally I wouldn't...it makes it MUCH too easy to either short something or drop liquids in...

All the best Brett :) 
February 17, 2013 11:33:15 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Yes you can, but personally I wouldn't...it makes it MUCH too easy to either short something or drop liquids in...

All the best Brett :) 


Well the hinges are already destroyed (OLDER brothers laptop) you'd think he'd take better care anyhow theres not much space for liquids to fall in other than the fan vent in any case some tape over the tiny holes should do the trick, unless you mean shorting the laptop while removing the screen?
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
a c 249 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 11:39:45 PM

902 said:
Well the hinges are already destroyed (OLDER brothers laptop) you'd think he'd take better care anyhow theres not much space for liquids to fall in other than the fan vent in any case some tape over the tiny holes should do the trick, unless you mean shorting the laptop while removing the screen?



Hi :) 

I assumed (maybe wrongly) that you were asking about removing the screen AND the TOP , all together...

All the best Brett :) 
February 17, 2013 11:44:52 PM

oh yeah i'm wording things wrong i mean completely headless the screen use to be supported by whatever was behind it, now there is no screen just the plastic thing behind it which i want to remove as well
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
a c 249 D Laptop
February 17, 2013 11:51:13 PM

902 said:
oh yeah i'm wording things wrong i mean completely headless the screen use to be supported by whatever was behind it, now there is no screen just the plastic thing behind it which i want to remove as well



Hi :) 

Thats the TOP or TOP PLASTIC as we call it in the trade....

I still don't think its a great idea but your choice...

All the best Brett :) 
February 18, 2013 12:05:31 AM

i'm not sure i understand why, the only difference if any would be the top not being there. I can't describe well without a picture sorry. But simply

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/HP-G50-G60-G70/rem...

if you look at this picture the hinge that allows you tilt the top and hold it up is broken i've took out the screen as the back light is dead, is the screen still good? doubt it any how considering the hinge isn't there it shoudn't make any difference right?

Thanks for putting up with me :p 
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
a c 249 D Laptop
February 18, 2013 12:08:18 AM

Hi :) 

We see a lot of lappies in bits in my shops....

A LOT of them shorted out... by anything metal or liquids...

This is YOUR choice, its NOT something I would ever advise a customer of mine to do...

All the best Brett :) 
February 18, 2013 12:10:16 AM

ok, what would be a good workaround to going headless? i don't want it just there in the way can i safely disconnect the cables or something?
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
a c 249 D Laptop
February 18, 2013 12:11:31 AM

902 said:
ok, what would be a good workaround to going headless? i don't want it just there in the way can i safely disconnect the cables or something?



Hi :) 

There is NO SAFE workaround.... do it or not, YOUR choice...

All the best Brett :) 
!