norton anti virus

hello can anyone help.
I noticed the other day that my norton anti virus was missing from my desktop
so i decided to reinstall it but each time i do this it says it has loaded
successfully but when i want to use it tells me to activte an register with
symentac first
when i press the activation tab it atempts to connect and just stays that
way indefinately in fact the only way to close it is to restart my computer .

also on internet properties when i type in a web address to start up in it
changes by itself to different web pages iam on xp home do you think i have
some serious viruses, if so how can i get rid of em many thanks for reading
this.
--
tk
2 answers Last reply

    Your problem can be solved by contacting symantec direct. Uncle Bill does not own symantec nor has he got resources to buy it!!!

    http://www.skype.com

    tony xxx wrote:

    > hello can anyone help.
    > I noticed the other day that my norton anti virus was missing from my desktop
    > so i decided to reinstall it but each time i do this it says it has loaded
    > successfully but when i want to use it tells me to activte an register with
    > symentac first
    > when i press the activation tab it atempts to connect and just stays that
    > way indefinately in fact the only way to close it is to restart my computer .
    >
    > also on internet properties when i type in a web address to start up in it
    > changes by itself to different web pages iam on xp home do you think i have
    > some serious viruses, if so how can i get rid of em many thanks for reading
    > this.
    > --
    > tk

    Visit www.symantec.com and run the online scan
    Assuming thats all clear
    Download update and run both Adaware and SpyBot
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/ free version
    Both free
    Run winupdate to ensure you have critical updates
    Next revisit symantec and see details of how to completely remove your
    version of Norton prior to reinstalling NAV as per instructions

    "tony xxx" <tonyxxx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello can anyone help.
    > I noticed the other day that my norton anti virus was missing from my
    desktop
    > so i decided to reinstall it but each time i do this it says it has loaded
    > successfully but when i want to use it tells me to activte an register
    with
    > symentac first
    > when i press the activation tab it atempts to connect and just stays that
    > way indefinately in fact the only way to close it is to restart my
    computer .

    > also on internet properties when i type in a web address to start up in it
    > changes by itself to different web pages iam on xp home do you think i
    have
    > some serious viruses, if so how can i get rid of em many thanks for
    reading
    > this.
    > --
    > tk