Dimension XPS T600 Help

Hello,

I picked up a barebones Dell Dimension XPS T600 system last month. It had
the powersupply, processor, and memory stripped out of it. While I have
memory here, I am wondering what model / make powersupply was used for
these, or if any generic Powersupply would work. Also what is the highest
rated CPU this motherboard would handle? I wouldn't mind putting in a 1ghz
slot P3 if possible.

Brad

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I picked up a barebones Dell Dimension XPS T600 system last month. It had
> the powersupply, processor, and memory stripped out of it. While I have
> memory here, I am wondering what model / make powersupply was used for
> these, or if any generic Powersupply would work. Also what is the highest
> rated CPU this motherboard would handle? I wouldn't mind putting in a
> 1ghz slot P3 if possible.
>
> Brad

Start here, great site with lots of good information and easy to read:
http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/

Get a Dell power supply - that model has a proprietary connect to the system
board. Look for a supply out of an Dimension XPS R, T, B, or Dimension 4100
model (used), or call Dell Spare Parts Phone 800-999-3355 Ext 69937.

The system can use most any PIII Slot1 CPU with a *100mhz* FSB (NOT a 133mhz
FSB). It can also use various slocket/adapters: www.powerleap.com

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/

It uses PC100 SDRAM with a max capacity of 768mb (3x256mb).

As a side note, don't confuse this machine with the newer and current XPS,
or XPS GenX machines. Not even close to the same animal.

Stew

To add to what Stew said - If you are going to spend more than a few hundred
dollars to get it up and running, you are probably going to spend more than
it's worth. If you are doing it just for the learning experience - Great!

I have an XPS-600r here that I upgraded the processor to 1GHz many years
ago. It works good, but I wouldn't even consider doing that upgrade now.

> "B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I picked up a barebones Dell Dimension XPS T600 system last month. It
>> had the powersupply, processor, and memory stripped out of it. While I
>> have memory here, I am wondering what model / make powersupply was used
>> for these, or if any generic Powersupply would work. Also what is the
>> highest rated CPU this motherboard would handle? I wouldn't mind putting
>> in a 1ghz slot P3 if possible.
>>
>> Brad
>>

> Start here, great site with lots of good information and easy to read:
> http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/
>
> Get a Dell power supply - that model has a proprietary connect to the
> system board. Look for a supply out of an Dimension XPS R, T, B, or
> Dimension 4100 model (used), or call Dell Spare Parts Phone 800-999-3355
> Ext 69937.
>
> The system can use most any PIII Slot1 CPU with a *100mhz* FSB (NOT a
> 133mhz FSB). It can also use various slocket/adapters: www.powerleap.com
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/
>
> It uses PC100 SDRAM with a max capacity of 768mb (3x256mb).
>
> As a side note, don't confuse this machine with the newer and current XPS,
> or XPS GenX machines. Not even close to the same animal.
>

> Stew

Would this be what your looking for?
http://www.power-on.com/dell250x.html Check to make sure it has the proper
Dell Connectors.

KC

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I picked up a barebones Dell Dimension XPS T600 system last month. It had
> the powersupply, processor, and memory stripped out of it. While I have
> memory here, I am wondering what model / make powersupply was used for
> these, or if any generic Powersupply would work. Also what is the highest
> rated CPU this motherboard would handle? I wouldn't mind putting in a
1ghz
> slot P3 if possible.
>
> Brad

Thanks for the great info. Mainly I just need the power supply and
processor for this. I can get a processor (600mhz) for around $15. What
I'd like to do is take out the old 8gb hdd, add in an 80gb from my shop here
and just really recondition it and sell it.

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> To add to what Stew said - If you are going to spend more than a few
> hundred dollars to get it up and running, you are probably going to spend
> more than it's worth. If you are doing it just for the learning
> experience - Great!
>
> I have an XPS-600r here that I upgraded the processor to 1GHz many years
> ago. It works good, but I wouldn't even consider doing that upgrade now.
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I picked up a barebones Dell Dimension XPS T600 system last month. It
>>> had the powersupply, processor, and memory stripped out of it. While I
>>> have memory here, I am wondering what model / make powersupply was used
>>> for these, or if any generic Powersupply would work. Also what is the
>>> highest rated CPU this motherboard would handle? I wouldn't mind
>>> putting in a 1ghz slot P3 if possible.
>>>
>>> Brad
>>>

>> Start here, great site with lots of good information and easy to read:
>> http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/
>>
>> Get a Dell power supply - that model has a proprietary connect to the
>> system board. Look for a supply out of an Dimension XPS R, T, B, or
>> Dimension 4100 model (used), or call Dell Spare Parts Phone 800-999-3355
>> Ext 69937.
>>
>> The system can use most any PIII Slot1 CPU with a *100mhz* FSB (NOT a
>> 133mhz FSB). It can also use various slocket/adapters:
>> www.powerleap.com
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/
>>
>> It uses PC100 SDRAM with a max capacity of 768mb (3x256mb).
>>
>> As a side note, don't confuse this machine with the newer and current
>> XPS, or XPS GenX machines. Not even close to the same animal.
>>

>> Stew

That would make a great machine for surfing the net, office programs, and
things like that. I still fire up my old T series once in a while.

> Thanks for the great info. Mainly I just need the power supply and
> processor for this. I can get a processor (600mhz) for around $15. What
> I'd like to do is take out the old 8gb hdd, add in an 80gb from my shop
> here and just really recondition it and sell it.
>

> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> To add to what Stew said - If you are going to spend more than a few
>> hundred dollars to get it up and running, you are probably going to spend
>> more than it's worth. If you are doing it just for the learning
>> experience - Great!
>>
>> I have an XPS-600r here that I upgraded the processor to 1GHz many years
>> ago. It works good, but I wouldn't even consider doing that upgrade now.
>>
>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message

>>> Start here, great site with lots of good information and easy to read:
>>> http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/
>>>
>>> Get a Dell power supply - that model has a proprietary connect to the
>>> system board. Look for a supply out of an Dimension XPS R, T, B, or
>>> Dimension 4100 model (used), or call Dell Spare Parts Phone 800-999-3355
>>> Ext 69937.
>>>
>>> The system can use most any PIII Slot1 CPU with a *100mhz* FSB (NOT a
>>> 133mhz FSB). It can also use various slocket/adapters:
>>> www.powerleap.com
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/
>>>
>>> It uses PC100 SDRAM with a max capacity of 768mb (3x256mb).
>>>
>>> As a side note, don't confuse this machine with the newer and current
>>> XPS, or XPS GenX machines. Not even close to the same animal.
>>>

>>> Stew

Thats exactly why I am fixing it up. :) In fact I have several people
asking me for machines, I'm picking up these Dells that offices are ready to
throw to the trash, and I'm fixing what needs to be fixed, normally spending
less than $75 per machine, and selling them to those who need low cost
machines for their homes or offices. Letting them know that these aren't
directly from Dell, not under Dell warranty, but still work great. And they
do work great.

> Thats exactly why I am fixing it up. :) In fact I have several people
> asking me for machines, I'm picking up these Dells that offices are ready
> to throw to the trash, and I'm fixing what needs to be fixed, normally
> spending less than $75 per machine, and selling them to those who need low
> cost machines for their homes or offices. Letting them know that these
> aren't directly from Dell, not under Dell warranty, but still work great.
> And they do work great.

I've got an XPS T500 on location here in town (512mb RAM, 64mb video card,
and 20gb hard drive with Windows XP Home) that the person likes so much they
are probably going to buy it. (I'd originally loaned it to them when their
local vendor-built 800mhz Celeron bought the farm).

For simple basic stuff, they are still one tough bullet-proof machine.

My son also uses an XPS Br 1000 (1GHz/512mb RDRAM) that is chugging along,
although it's noisy as all hell....(fans).

Stew

That's it! Thanks!!