nvidia- the next monopoly?

NIB64

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Ever since the original TNT video card, nvidia has competed ferociously. They wiped out 2 main competitors, S3 and 3dfx.
They are looking like if they successfully take out ATI, they could monopolize the video card market.
Personally, I think Microsoft could take lessons from these guys.
Commments?
-nib64

mpjesse

Splendid
Are you joking? M$ doesn't play it fair- nVidia does. nVidia simply bullies other card makers with better technology and faster frame rates- can't argue with that. I don't see nVidia running around buying up companies left and right. nVidia is the sh*t. ATi is getting there- they just need to migrate to a .13 micron process and boost the chip speeds of their Radeons (not to mention memory performance).

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
i hope that Ati and NVidia remain- this way there is competition, and prices remain low while new things come out often. Plus, if Ati goes, so does the fire GL series:( I like that series. Best vid cards in 3D S Max.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well nvidia might become a natural monopoly. If no one else can compete with them they naturally become a monopoly. You can't force some other company into competing with them so....

Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Since nVidia seems to be seriously branching out what with the X-Box thing and the nForce I'm actually more worried about the quality of their video cards diminishing. The whole Titanium thing seems to be a stepping stone in the wrong direction. (No new features on any of the cards and two of the three perform worse rather than better then the cards they are set to replace for about the same price! What's that about?!!) Seems like they might end up growing too fast, spreading themselves too thin and then letting the quality of their product decline because they can coast on the strenght of their name brand. Or they might become wildly successful....Like INTEL....Oh wait...I think I just proved my point.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well there are a couple of things. Besides Martox thats in poor shape. ATI is the only major 1st party maker out there "s3 and 3dfx both failed :*(". Remember ATi still has most of the notebook market. the mobile radeon 7500 is the single fastest chip out there for the notebook.

Besides ATi has huge Intel backing. Intel still has a lot of power in the industry. Well the Intel + ATi Chipset for the Notebook should be pretty scary in my views on a monopoly.

*Side Note: Gigabyte is making a Radeon 7500 video card*

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Plus, if Ati goes, so does the fire GL series:

Someone else will buy the technology and keep producing the cards, don't worry. nVidia is using S3 and 3dfx technology in their cards.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Fire GL 1,3,3,4 used IBM Chips to power it

Fire GL 8800 used the Radeon 8500 core heavy modified for OpenGL apps.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
(No new features on any of the cards and two of the three perform worse rather than better then the cards they are set to replace for about the same price! What's that about?!!)

Actually the titaniums which replace the origional gf3 and the gf2 ultra cost less than both of those cards, so you dont pay more for slightly less performance. You pay less for less performance, but you can always overclock.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

IMHO...

I think we are already beginning to see what can easily happen when a manufacturer begins to believe they are untouchable.

Nvidia just took their first step into:

Now that we've got'em, lets get some cost out.... they won't notice if they aren't quite as good anymore" land.

Sound like any other manufacturers you know..... er.... GM, Ford, Chrystler, HONDA, Nissan, INTEL (you *poopies*)

I love my GF2 and look forward to a GF3 in the near future, but I say GO GET'EM ATI.. Keep the *poopies* honest!

OOPS: srry bout that!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Insidious on 10/05/01 05:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>