Old and New Hardware, Weird Problems

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I am trying to put together a cheap Duron system for my fiance and I have run into a strange problem that I am hoping someone out there can help me with. I am using the ECS K7S5A motherboard, a Duron 750, 128MB PC2100, 7.5GB Hard Disk, 12X DVD, and a ViewSonic VP150 LCD. Now, the video card I am trying to use is the oldest piece of the system. It is a Real3D AGP2X card based on the *crappy* i740 graphics core.

The problem I am having is this: I got the system set up and all the parts work just fine. I have installed Windows 2000 Professional along with SP2 and DX8.0a. As most of you probably already know, the default VGA settings in Windows is 640x480 at 16 color (not 16 bit). The video card/monitor works just fine in this mode. However, as soon as I try to increase the resolution, or the color amount, the system reboots itself. All looks well as the computer POSTs, Windows 2000 starts to load, and then (when I should be looking at a logon screen) all I get is black. Everything is still going on in the background, but I can't see anything.

I can boot in VGA mode and put my settings back to minimum so that I can boot again, but as soon as I try to change them, the same thing happens again.

Now, I know for a fact that this is a problem with the video card and not the monitor or drivers. Windows 2000 already includes native support for both devices and they are the latest drivers. Intel offers no information on whether their card is compatible with LCD's or not. I know it is compatible with Win2k since it includes drivers for it.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone know for sure, or have a good guess as to what the problem is here? The only thing I can think of is that the card doesn't support LCD's for some reason.

P.S. I don't want anyone telling me to buy another card because I already have decided that I am going to do that as soon as I get some money. I am just trying to get the sytem to work in the meantime.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have some bad news for you, but it's not really news as you know what I was going to say.
Make sure AGP4x is disabled in BIOS, and try to download the latest driver from Intel. If no recent drivers are available, you could try the latest video driver for the i815 chipset, as it uses an i740 based graphics engine.

Back to you Tom...

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
At first, my BIOS was set to AGP4X, but I had changed that before my post and it didn't change anything. The latest drivers from Intel for the i740 actually have an older date on them than the ones from Microsoft and the Intel website says nothing about compatibility issues with LCDs and/or Windows 2000.

I haven't tried the i815 chipset drivers yet, although that is a good sugestion and I will give that a try next time I feel like getting pissed off at a computer... :wink:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, there is a newer version of the video driver for that chipset which is seperate from the rest of the chipset drivers. I wouldn't suggest you load the rest of them.

Back to you Tom...

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I know I really haven't had a chance to show my full skill level on these forums yet, but I do know not to load the full set of i815 chipset drivers on my SiS735 motherboard... :lol:

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I understand completely. I wasn't upset or anything. I was just defending my ego... :smile: