Yahoo Messenger and Firewall

I use Yahoo messenger. Although my Windows firewall is turned off (I clicked
off in the Firewall window) I still cannot use some of the Yahoo features
like voice chatting and video streaming. I get the error message ""sorry,
you appear to be behind a wirewall and are currently unable to use the
Yahoo!Webcam service". I don't know what else to do. Yahoo is listed in the
exception window, so I would think that if it was checked, and Firewall was
on, it still should work. I have even tried reinstalling Yahoo Messenger.
Also in the Network Connections window, none of the connections are listed as
firewalled. I could really use some ideas. Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about yahoo messenger firewall

    You shouldnt really trust an error message that says "you appear to be..."
    Yahoo is making an implication there, and it could really be anything.
    Ive never tried out the Yahoo thing, but I would imagine that whats
    happening is your essentially creating a server for your voice chatting and
    if your behind a router, you will need to turn on port forwarding.
    Hopefully <i>I</i> am making a correct implication here, but I would think
    that the majority of America is behind some kind of a router.
    If you happen to be one of these people, firstly, find out what port the
    voice chatting need. The Yahoo messenger documentation should be able to tell
    you this information.
    Next, configure your router to port forward [port number] to your computers
    IP address. Most routers have web administration capabilities that will allow
    you to configure them.
    You know what....this is about to get real complex. I think I will just stop
    now and recommend you look at the Yahoo Messenger documentation. They have
    probably already solved this problem.
    --
    To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

    "Scubawendi" wrote:

    > I use Yahoo messenger. Although my Windows firewall is turned off (I clicked
    > off in the Firewall window) I still cannot use some of the Yahoo features
    > like voice chatting and video streaming. I get the error message ""sorry,
    > you appear to be behind a wirewall and are currently unable to use the
    > Yahoo!Webcam service". I don't know what else to do. Yahoo is listed in the
    > exception window, so I would think that if it was checked, and Firewall was
    > on, it still should work. I have even tried reinstalling Yahoo Messenger.
    > Also in the Network Connections window, none of the connections are listed as
    > firewalled. I could really use some ideas. Thanks!

Firewalls Yahoo Messenger Yahoo Windows XP