Yahoo Messenger and Firewall

I use Yahoo messenger. Although my Windows firewall is turned off (I clicked
off in the Firewall window) I still cannot use some of the Yahoo features
like voice chatting and video streaming. I get the error message ""sorry,
you appear to be behind a wirewall and are currently unable to use the
Yahoo!Webcam service". I don't know what else to do. Yahoo is listed in the
exception window, so I would think that if it was checked, and Firewall was
on, it still should work. I have even tried reinstalling Yahoo Messenger.
Also in the Network Connections window, none of the connections are listed as
firewalled. I could really use some ideas. Thanks!

Tim

You shouldnt really trust an error message that says "you appear to be..."
Yahoo is making an implication there, and it could really be anything.
Ive never tried out the Yahoo thing, but I would imagine that whats
happening is your essentially creating a server for your voice chatting and
if your behind a router, you will need to turn on port forwarding.
Hopefully <i>I</i> am making a correct implication here, but I would think
that the majority of America is behind some kind of a router.
If you happen to be one of these people, firstly, find out what port the
voice chatting need. The Yahoo messenger documentation should be able to tell
you this information.
Next, configure your router to port forward [port number] to your computers
IP address. Most routers have web administration capabilities that will allow
you to configure them.
You know what....this is about to get real complex. I think I will just stop
now and recommend you look at the Yahoo Messenger documentation. They have
probably already solved this problem.
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.