Windows "freezes" ???

Newbie chick needs help!
When I turn on computer or leave it on at the desktop, sometimes when I
click on the AOL icon (or anything else) it "beeps" and then freezes. The
only way I can get the computer to do anything is to completely unplug it and
start it again.
What is causing this and how can I get it to stop?
I am a real newbie so you need to reply in VERY basic terms, sorry I an not
very familiar with computer jargon.
Thanks for any help,
HOLLY

Tim

Looks like your at the point beyond return. You probably have viruses and
spyware up to your eyeballs.
Goto compusa with your windows CD and cd key and tell them you want to
reinstall Windows XP.
Normally, this is a job that you dont have to go to compusa for, but
considering your skill level, I think you'd be better off.
Remember to back up any data you want.
And also try to learn about computers alot. They're pretty cool and arent
just for 'Internet' and music and AIM and the very occasional word document.
I would say, check out some magazines that are computer related and try to
do some of the things they do.
Good luck!
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

"NOMARTIANS" wrote:

> Newbie chick needs help!
> When I turn on computer or leave it on at the desktop, sometimes when I
> click on the AOL icon (or anything else) it "beeps" and then freezes. The
> only way I can get the computer to do anything is to completely unplug it and
> start it again.
> What is causing this and how can I get it to stop?
> I am a real newbie so you need to reply in VERY basic terms, sorry I an not
> very familiar with computer jargon.
> Thanks for any help,
> HOLLY

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

You might start by checking the event viewer for error messages.

Right click on My Computer, select manage. Expand Event Viewer and select
the system or Application entries to see a listing in the right pane. If
you see an "Error" notation (around the time the event happened), right
click on it and select properties to read about the error. You might copy
and paste it back here.

Get as much info about how you cause the problem as you can. Does it happen
at certain times or randomly? Do you use a USB mouse or a PS/2 one? Is
anything else going on when it freezes?

Clark