My Cd-Rom Drive doesn't work.

August 15, 2005 3:19:02 AM

When I put a cd into it the auto run program doesn't work. And when i try the
"Run"
option on the start menu that doesn't work either. And when I try to start
the cd by clicking the icon on my desktop (it is usually a computer game i am
trying to start) it says I don't have the correct disk in the drive.

More about : rom drive work

August 15, 2005 3:34:28 AM

Is it a DVD disc? I just got the DVD version Battlefield 2 the other day, and
I tried to run it in my CD (only) drive, and I believe I got an error similar
to yours. So perhaps its something like that?

What do you hear when the drive starts up? Does it sound like its spinning?
Does the light blink. Tell us more about the behavior. Also, try a restart if
you havent already. They can work wonders ;) .

Ive remember one time where I was having problems with my drive, and I ended
up opening up my case and reconnecting the IDE and power cables. However I
would only recommend this if you know what your doing. If you dont, google
some guide for installing CD drives and from there, you will find out how to
reconnect the drive. It may be a longshot, but hey, it worked for me. It
turned out that my problem was that the power cable went 'bad' (sorry for the
vagueness, but thats all i can really say about the problem). So all it did
it trade it out with another free one in my case.

Good luck!

--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

"The8Man8" wrote:

> When I put a cd into it the auto run program doesn't work. And when i try the
> "Run"
> option on the start menu that doesn't work either. And when I try to start
> the cd by clicking the icon on my desktop (it is usually a computer game i am
> trying to start) it says I don't have the correct disk in the drive.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:01:34 AM

It is a disc. it sounds like the cd is moving and the light is blinking. I
have also tried restarting several time plus shutting it down for a few hours.

"Tim" wrote:

> Is it a DVD disc? I just got the DVD version Battlefield 2 the other day, and
> I tried to run it in my CD (only) drive, and I believe I got an error similar
> to yours. So perhaps its something like that?
>
> What do you hear when the drive starts up? Does it sound like its spinning?
> Does the light blink. Tell us more about the behavior. Also, try a restart if
> you havent already. They can work wonders ;) .
>
> Ive remember one time where I was having problems with my drive, and I ended
> up opening up my case and reconnecting the IDE and power cables. However I
> would only recommend this if you know what your doing. If you dont, google
> some guide for installing CD drives and from there, you will find out how to
> reconnect the drive. It may be a longshot, but hey, it worked for me. It
> turned out that my problem was that the power cable went 'bad' (sorry for the
> vagueness, but thats all i can really say about the problem). So all it did
> it trade it out with another free one in my case.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.
>

> "The8Man8" wrote:
>
> > When I put a cd into it the auto run program doesn't work. And when i try the
> > "Run"
> > option on the start menu that doesn't work either. And when I try to start
> > the cd by clicking the icon on my desktop (it is usually a computer game i am
> > trying to start) it says I don't have the correct disk in the drive.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:06:19 PM

Some additional questions, that answered, may help solve your problem:

Is the disc a DVD or CD? (Note that a CD will play in a DVD drive, but a DVD
will not work in a CD drive)

Does the media in question have physical damage such as scratches,
fingerprints, etc? (Often a damaged CD will spin up and cause the active
light to blink on the drive, but won't play the media in question)

Is the computer's drive a DVD or CD drive?

Have you tried different media, such as another CD or an audio CD in the
drive?
(Trying several different CDs will help determine if it is the CD in
question or a problem with the drive. Alternately, try the CD that won't play
in another computer)

Has the computer been physically moved recently? (A connector may have been
loosened as mentioned by Tim in the post above)

Best regards,

Jason C. Henley

!