G

I have recently purchased a geforce2 mx400 and the stupid won't run properly! e.g. 20fps on 640X480 (no detail) max payne. My motherboard is an sis integrated video, sound etc. I have deleted all the sis drivers and put on the detonator XP but it still runs poorly on a duron 750
any help please?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
what agp mode is it in...?
i dont think that will make much difference, but another thing to check is if you disabled the onboard video on the mobo..

what version of the detonator drivers are you running?
do you have anything running in the background?

if all else fails....then i would say make sure that you still arent running off the sis integrated..
their integrated video hasnt been the greatest...and those fps sound right for the built in video..
on a geforce2 mx-400, you should be able to run it a little higher than that..
that sounds really strange!
anyone else have any ideas?
oh, you also might want to try completely uninstalling the geforce, and the sis, and doing a fresh install..
you will have to remove the nvidia .dll s, and unfortunately, i dont know which ones to remove, and what they are called...i hope that someone posts it here.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Thanks for the suggestion but on my bios for the motherboard i have two choices AGP onboard/PCI
Is this right? I'm not sure!
Do you think i have to get another motherboard?

tullyganny

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I had similar problems with my Geforce 2 MX 400 and all that was wrong was the AGP drivers. I actually hadn't them installed at all but once they were in I never had another problem. I hope this helps.

G

I am not quite sure what you mean, could you please tell me where you installed them to? e.g. C:/windows/xxx/xxx?
Did you have an integrated motherboard?

G

ok, first of all, check out your bios, and make sure the agp is set to the proper speed (eg 4x) Make sure that you have the proper agp drivers installed for your windows system. This driver is almost always shipped with your motherboard, contact the manufacturer. Another thing is that 640x480 res. usually is just processor intensive, not video card intensive, so you are definitely not getting the most out of your card at that res. Make sure you have uninstalled the previous video card's drivers from windows, and disabled it in the bios (if its one of those integrated POS's) Finally, goto nvidia.com and download the latest DetonatorXP drivers for your card.

G

OK heres the problem with that,
My motherboard bios doesn't have an AGP 4X/2X setting. I just says AGPonboard or PCI. SEcondly when i tried to uninstall the SIS630/730 chip drivers it just says error in setuplib.dll and wont uninstall. I downloaded the detonator XP drivers but that did not make any difference.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
strange...
i might be able to help more, but i would have to be there...unfortunately, that is impossible..
i sure hope that someone can help you out..
i mean, one thing i can think of is to reformat and reinstall the os...
what you might want to do is to go into safemode (if it is windows) and set the video driver to standard vga driver...then boot into normal mode, and the display should be a low res, low color depth desktop. then, remove all the files associated with that driver.
in the bios, i think that you should change that to pci...
then when windows boots again, install the detonator drivers!
that SHOULD work. going by the info i have here, that is how i would go about fixing it.
good luck, and be careful...
anyone else have any suggestions????????

-DAvid

G

There are two files that AMD boards need to run AGP properly. I went from a 1500 to a 3500 in 3dMark2k1 benchmark deal.

1. AMD Miniport driver.
2. VIA 4 in 1

Don't remember the details of installing them, they are pretty straight forward though. There only like 1 option the entire time you are setting them up, select turbo mode when you see it.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you know what...i think that i didnt install the miniport driver on my comp the last time i reformatted...
you just reminded me to do so...
thank you!
but does it have to be installed before the via 4-in-1's?

-DAvid

G

Don't think it matters what order you install in. Don't feel like formatting 3 times in one day to find out though :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu have the PCI version of the MX400 don't you. In fact your system does not even have an AGP slot does it? I'm really surprised noone had figured this out. YOu cannot get good performance from ANY PCI card, PCI simply does not have enough bandwidth, and what it does have it has to share with every other PCI device.

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
but you'd think that he'd get a bit higher than 20 fps wouldnt you????
i dont know, but i think he should be getting a bit higher than that...
and i am pretty sure that it is a pci video card...considering that in the bios, there is only options for built-in / pci
soooo, i think that you are right, but i think that there is also something going on that might be slowing it down a bit...

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope. PCI is so slow a TNT can keep up with a Radeon in most games. Your always limmited to the bandwidth of the slot, I'm verry surprised he can even get 20FPs in Max Payne at the lowest resolution, considering the amount of data involved in rendering Max Payne. This is the same reason you don't see DDR memory on PCI cards, it's no use because you can't even fill 32MB of 6ns SDR SDRAM before the video memory is emtied again.

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i see..
that makes sense.
so even if i put an upgraded video card in my dads hp, which only has pci slots (and only three of them to boot!, two operational, one died for some reason) then i wont get an increase of framerates? my little brother uses that computer to play counterstrike, and he has to run it in software just to be playable...damn intel 810 chipset...but it will run unreal tournament in d3d pretty fast.
i was thinking about putting a radeon pci in there, but if it isnt going to help, then i dont think i will bother. just wait until my dad feels like upgrading his comp.
i always knew agp was faster than pci, but if it is that much faster, then i cant wait to see what type of interface they come out with next...
supposedly, nvidia said that they will be making agp 8x, but i dont know the validity of that..

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh yeah, and in my system, the agp slot has to be running in 1x with my geforce2 pro in order to get it to run things without strange display errors, like missing textures.
but on my next mobo, the k7s5a, i had better be able to run it in 4x...or heads will roll.... :)

-DAvid

XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Well... I am using a GeForce2 MX 200 (AGP), and I recently put in an AIW Radeon PCI (32 MB SDR RAM). It performed just as well as the GeForce, if not better. But i'm sure thats just beacuse the GeForce2 MX 200's are slow as hell in the first place...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
weird..what agp mode were you running?
and what did you use to determine how fast one was compared to the other?
3dmark2k1?
or some other form of benchmarking?

-DAvid

XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Nah.. I didnt use 3dMark or anything like that... (i didnt have the program at that time). I just made a generalization while playing Deus Ex. I did notice though, there was a lot of artifacts (?) or little areas of random colors here and there while watching DVDs or recording Video CD quality TV.
In terms of the GeForce, i'm assuming it was set on 4x AGP, because the computer was sent with the GeForce....

-----

In a world... where nothing is interesting...

<A HREF="http:// www.nosmarts.com " target="_new">http:// www.nosmarts.com </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since his i810 motherboard is using only 2MB of shared system memory (or even 2-4Mb of dedicated memory if they put on the optional 2 chips) you can get better performance from a Radeon PCI. But even that will suck by any AGP standards. I have not seen newer PCI cards significantly outperform even the original TNT PCI simply because of the bandwidth limmitation (but they do add new features).

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, that is pretty true, about the ram sharing..
it really sucks because if you have the intel 815 chipset, you can share up to 64 megs i think...
but i think that i will leave my dads computer alone, because since my computer is the main gaming machine, i would rather wait to upgrade his since it does what he needs...
but thanks for the info...it explained a few things.

-DAvid

G

No, I dont have a PCI video card in my system thats why i'm asking in this forum to get help with it because i have an AGP video card in an AGP slot and its running slow :|. The problems with the bios or motherboard not the card or slot. My motheboard has an AGP slot thats why i bought a card for it, and the box my card came in said Geforce 2 mx-400 AGP video card, AGP 4X/2X compatible.:(

TRENDING THREADS