Accidentally permanently Deleted LastGood Folder!

lee

I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod Folder in C:\Windows will
this affect my system in any way?

Hi Lee,

The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility.
I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two small files.

If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two, you may be able to restore it
using System Restore.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Lee wrote:
> I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod
> Folder in C:\Windows will this affect my system in any
> way?

lee

Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so cannot go back!
Lee

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility.
> I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two small files.
>
> If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two, you may be able to restore it
> using System Restore.
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> Lee wrote:
> > I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod
> > Folder in C:\Windows will this affect my system in any
> > way?

Hi Lee,

I found a reference to it in an article; the article describes an unrelated
problem. It indicates, however, that the Lastgood.tmp folder is used to
store 'read-only driver files'. Here is a link to the article:

Windows Removes Read-Only Driver Digital Signatures When You Restart with "Last Known Good
Configuration" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817434

I wouldn't be to concerned with it.

--

Lee wrote:
> Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so
> cannot go back! Lee
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lee,
>>
>> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good
>> Configuration" utility.
>> I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two
>> small files.
>>
>> If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two,
>> you may be able to restore it using System Restore.
>> All About System Restore in WinXP
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> Lee wrote:
>>> I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod
>>> Folder in C:\Windows will this affect my system in any
>>> way?

lee

Great, thanks for your help!
"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> I found a reference to it in an article; the article describes an unrelated
> problem. It indicates, however, that the Lastgood.tmp folder is used to
> store 'read-only driver files'. Here is a link to the article:
>
> Windows Removes Read-Only Driver Digital Signatures When You Restart with "Last Known Good
> Configuration" Option
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817434
>
> I wouldn't be to concerned with it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> Lee wrote:
> > Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so
> > cannot go back! Lee
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Lee,
> >>
> >> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good
> >> Configuration" utility.
> >> I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two
> >> small files.
> >>
> >> If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two,
> >> you may be able to restore it using System Restore.
> >> All About System Restore in WinXP
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org

You're welcome Lee.

--

Lee wrote:
> Great, thanks for your help!
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lee,
>>
>> I found a reference to it in an article; the article
>> describes an unrelated
>> problem. It indicates, however, that the Lastgood.tmp
>> folder is used to
>> store 'read-only driver files'. Here is a link to the article:
>>
>> Windows Removes Read-Only Driver Digital Signatures When
>> You Restart with "Last Known Good Configuration" Option
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817434
>>
>> I wouldn't be to concerned with it.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> Lee wrote:
>>> Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so
>>> cannot go back! Lee

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Bert Kinney wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility.
> I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two small files.
>
> If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two, you may be able to restore it
> using System Restore.
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

Won't it be created if you reboot successfully?

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi,

Enkidu wrote:
>> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good
>> Configuration" utility. I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two
>> small files. If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two,
>> you may be able to restore it using System Restore.
>> All About System Restore in WinXP
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>>
> Won't it be created if you reboot successfully?

I haven't tested it so I can say for sure. But I don't think so. Reason being, I have two
XP system with no Lastgood folder. The system that has the folder is a Dell. And it
contains the zero-length OEMx.inf mentioned in the article. When I get home tomorrow I'll
delete the folder and see what happens.

--

Bert Kinney wrote:

> I haven't tested it so I can say for sure. But I don't
> think so. Reason being, I have two XP system with no
> Lastgood folder. The system that has the folder is a
> Dell. And it contains the zero-length OEMx.inf
> mentioned in the article. When I get home tomorrow I'll
> delete the folder and see what happens.

I think that I've changed my mind. If the machine is
rebooted the *last* known good configuration is the one that
the machine was just booted on.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101790

"Any change introduced more than one successful boot ago
cannot be backed out, because the change will have been
copied to the last known good control set on the first
successful boot after the change was made."

It seems to me that if those files have existed for more
than one successful reboot that they are redundant.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi Clif,

Enkidu wrote:
>> I haven't tested it so I can say for sure. But I don't
>> think so. Reason being, I have two XP system with no
>> Lastgood folder. The system that has the folder is a
>> Dell. And it contains the zero-length OEMx.inf
>> mentioned in the article. When I get home tomorrow I'll
>> delete the folder and see what happens.
>>
> I think that I've changed my mind. If the machine is
> rebooted the *last* known good configuration is the one
> that the machine was just booted on.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101790
>
> "Any change introduced more than one successful boot ago
> cannot be backed out, because the change will have been
> copied to the last known good control set on the first
> successful boot after the change was made."

This would indicate that any files located in the Lastgood folder would be useless.

> It seems to me that if those files have existed for more
> than one successful reboot that they are redundant.

I just checked the system with the Lastgood folder. It is now gone. And not by my doing.
My guess is, that the folder is created on a unsuccessful boot, and deleted after a
successful boot. Or maybe on a second successful boot.