Accidentally permanently Deleted LastGood Folder!

I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod Folder in C:\Windows will
this affect my system in any way?
9 answers Last reply
More about accidentally permanently deleted lastgood folder

    Hi Lee,

    The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility.
    I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two small files.

    If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two, you may be able to restore it
    using System Restore.
    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Lee wrote:
    > I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod
    > Folder in C:\Windows will this affect my system in any
    > way?

    Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so cannot go back!
    Lee

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility.
    > I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two small files.
    >
    > If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two, you may be able to restore it
    > using System Restore.
    > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >

    > Lee wrote:
    > > I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod
    > > Folder in C:\Windows will this affect my system in any
    > > way?

    Hi Lee,

    I found a reference to it in an article; the article describes an unrelated
    problem. It indicates, however, that the Lastgood.tmp folder is used to
    store 'read-only driver files'. Here is a link to the article:

    Windows Removes Read-Only Driver Digital Signatures When You Restart with "Last Known Good
    Configuration" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817434

    I wouldn't be to concerned with it.

    --

    Lee wrote:
    > Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so
    > cannot go back! Lee
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Lee,
    >>
    >> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good
    >> Configuration" utility.
    >> I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two
    >> small files.
    >>
    >> If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two,
    >> you may be able to restore it using System Restore.
    >> All About System Restore in WinXP
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>

    >> Lee wrote:
    >>> I have accidentally permanantly deleted the LastGod
    >>> Folder in C:\Windows will this affect my system in any
    >>> way?

    Great, thanks for your help!
    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > I found a reference to it in an article; the article describes an unrelated
    > problem. It indicates, however, that the Lastgood.tmp folder is used to
    > store 'read-only driver files'. Here is a link to the article:
    >
    > Windows Removes Read-Only Driver Digital Signatures When You Restart with "Last Known Good
    > Configuration" Option
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817434
    >
    > I wouldn't be to concerned with it.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >

    > Lee wrote:
    > > Hi, unfortunately I had system restore turned off so
    > > cannot go back! Lee
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Lee,
    > >>
    > >> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good
    > >> Configuration" utility.
    > >> I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two
    > >> small files.
    > >>
    > >> If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two,
    > >> you may be able to restore it using System Restore.
    > >> All About System Restore in WinXP
    > >> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://bertk.mvps.org

    You're welcome Lee.

    --

    Bert Kinney wrote:
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility.
    > I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two small files.
    >
    > If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two, you may be able to restore it
    > using System Restore.
    > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    Won't it be created if you reboot successfully?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Hi,

    Enkidu wrote:
    >> The Lastgood folder is part of the "Last Known Good
    >> Configuration" utility. I found one Windows OS that had this folder were two
    >> small files. If this folder was just deleted in the past day or two,
    >> you may be able to restore it using System Restore.
    >> All About System Restore in WinXP
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
    >>
    > Won't it be created if you reboot successfully?

    I haven't tested it so I can say for sure. But I don't think so. Reason being, I have two
    XP system with no Lastgood folder. The system that has the folder is a Dell. And it
    contains the zero-length OEMx.inf mentioned in the article. When I get home tomorrow I'll
    delete the folder and see what happens.

    --

    Bert Kinney wrote:

    > I haven't tested it so I can say for sure. But I don't
    > think so. Reason being, I have two XP system with no
    > Lastgood folder. The system that has the folder is a
    > Dell. And it contains the zero-length OEMx.inf
    > mentioned in the article. When I get home tomorrow I'll
    > delete the folder and see what happens.

    I think that I've changed my mind. If the machine is
    rebooted the *last* known good configuration is the one that
    the machine was just booted on.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101790

    "Any change introduced more than one successful boot ago
    cannot be backed out, because the change will have been
    copied to the last known good control set on the first
    successful boot after the change was made."

    It seems to me that if those files have existed for more
    than one successful reboot that they are redundant.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Hi Clif,

    Enkidu wrote:
    >> I haven't tested it so I can say for sure. But I don't
    >> think so. Reason being, I have two XP system with no
    >> Lastgood folder. The system that has the folder is a
    >> Dell. And it contains the zero-length OEMx.inf
    >> mentioned in the article. When I get home tomorrow I'll
    >> delete the folder and see what happens.
    >>
    > I think that I've changed my mind. If the machine is
    > rebooted the *last* known good configuration is the one
    > that the machine was just booted on.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101790
    >
    > "Any change introduced more than one successful boot ago
    > cannot be backed out, because the change will have been
    > copied to the last known good control set on the first
    > successful boot after the change was made."

    This would indicate that any files located in the Lastgood folder would be useless.

    > It seems to me that if those files have existed for more
    > than one successful reboot that they are redundant.

    I just checked the system with the Lastgood folder. It is now gone. And not by my doing.
    My guess is, that the folder is created on a unsuccessful boot, and deleted after a
    successful boot. Or maybe on a second successful boot.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org